Proof by Induction: Proving S_n = 1/(2n)

In summary, according to the homework statement, the equations for S_{n} and T_{n} are as follows: S_{n} = \frac{1}{2n} T_{n} = \frac{1}{2n(2n+1)}Proving this is beyond me, but apparently it is true.
Oriako

Homework Statement

For each positive integer n, let [tex]S_{n} = \frac{1}{n(n+1)} + \frac{1}{(n+1)(n+2)} + ... + \frac{1}{(2n-1)2n}.[/tex]
(a) Calculate [tex]S_{1}, S_{2}, S_{3}[/tex]. Then use this data to guess a simple formula for [tex]S_{n}[/tex].
(b) Prove your guess in part (a) by mathematical induction
(c) Use Result 6.6 on page 136 to give another proof of your guess
(d) Prove that [tex]\frac{1}{k(k+1)} = \frac{1}{k} - \frac{1}{k+1}[/tex] for all positive real numbers k. Use this to give yet another proof of your guess in part (a). This method of proof is called telescoping.

Homework Equations

Result 6.6: For every positive integer n:
[tex]\frac{1}{(2)(3)} + \frac{1}{(3)(4)} + ... + \frac{1}{(n+1)(n+2)} = \frac{n}{2n+4}.[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a)
Since [tex]S_{1} = \frac{1}{2}, S_{2} = \frac{1}{4}, S_{3} = \frac{1}{6}[/tex], a good guess would be that [tex]S_{n} = \frac{1}{2n}[/tex].

Part b)
For n=1, [tex]\frac{1}{(2n-1)2n}=\frac{1}{(2(1)-1)2(1)}=\frac{1}{2}[/tex], so the entire sum is given by [tex]\frac{1}{n(n+1)} =\frac{1}{(1)((1)+1)} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]. Thus, [tex]S_{n} = \frac{1}{2n}[/tex] is true for n=1. By induction, let k be an arbitrary integer and assume that [tex]\frac{1}{k(k+1)} + \frac{1}{(k+1)(k+2)} + ... + \frac{1}{(2k-1)2k} = \frac{1}{2k}[/tex]. We want to prove that [tex]\frac{1}{(k+1)((k+1)+1)} + \frac{1}{((k+1)+1)((k+1)+2)} + ... + \frac{1}{(2(k+1)-1)(2(k+1))} = \frac{1}{2(k+1)}[/tex], which when simplified gives: [tex]\frac{1}{(k+1)(k+2)} + \frac{1}{(k+2)(k+3)} + ... + \frac{1}{(2k+1)(2k+2)} = \frac{1}{2(k+1)}[/tex].

I don't know where to go from here on (b) and I have no idea how Result 6.6 could help prove the result in a different way, and I'm completely lost on (d) as well. If anyone could help me out that would be massively appreciated, I've been spending hours trying to figure this out. I've run into tons of dead ends and what I've typed up here is the only thing that I know is for sure correct.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume that the sum is 1/(2k) for n=k, that is

[tex]S_k=\frac{1}{k(k+1)} + \frac{1}{(k+1)(k+2)} + ... + \frac{1}{(2k-1)2k} = \frac{1}{2k}[/tex]

Compare it with the sum for n=k+1:

[tex]S_{k+1}=\frac{1}{(k+1)(k+2)} + \frac{1}{(k+2)(k+3)} + ... +\frac{1}{(2k)(2k+1)} +\frac{1}{(2k+1)(2k+2)} = \frac{1}{2(k+1)} [/tex]
If you subtract 1/(k(k+1)) and add 1/((2k)(2k+1))+1/((2k+1)(2k+2)) to both sides of the sum Sk you get Sk+1.

So [tex]S_k-\frac{1}{k(k+1)}+\frac{1}{(2k)(2k+1)} +\frac{1}{(2k+1)(2k+2)}=S_{k+1}[/tex]

Substitute Sk=1/(2k) and simplify.

ehild

Last edited:
Thank you for the response!

I already tried what you suggested and got stuck so I thought it was an incorrect way to do it.
From what you suggest, I get

[tex]\frac{1}{2k} - \frac{1}{k(k+1)} + \frac{1}{(2k+1)(2k+2)} = \frac{(k-1)(2k+1)(2k+2) + (2k^2 + 2k)}{(2k^2 + 2k)(2k+1)(2k+2)}[/tex] And I am now stuck, I tried typing in the result into Wolframalpha and nothing simpler was given. I'm not sure how this is supposed to simplify to [tex]\frac{1}{2(k+1)}[/tex]

Also, I haven't made any progress on part (c) or (d) so even a hint if you have some ideas for those ones would be really helpful!

Sorry, I left out a term... I edited my previous post. So the correct formula is

[tex]\frac{1}{2k}-\frac{1}{k(k+1)}+\frac{1}{(2k)(2k+1)} +\frac{1}{(2k+1)(2k+2)}=S_{k+1}[/tex]

The common denominator is 2k(k+1)(2k+1).

[tex]\frac{(k+1)(2k+1)-2(2k+1)+k+1+k}{2k(k+1)(2k+1)}=S_{k+1}[/tex]

ehild

Okay, thank you very much. So I think I have a final proof for that part that is correct!

Now, would it be possible for you to help me with part (c)? This is what I've got so far.

Based off of the sum and Result 6.6, I can say that:

[tex]S_{n} = \sum\limits_{k=n}^{2n-2} \frac{1}{(k+1)(k+2)} = \frac{1}{2n}, T_{n} = \sum\limits_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{(k+1)(k+2)} = \frac{n}{2(n+2)}[/tex]
Where, T_{n} is equal to the sum of result 6.6.

A friend told me the following, but I don't understand why any of of it is true.

[tex]T_{n} = \frac{1}{1} + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} +... \frac{1}{n}, S_{n} = \frac{1}{n+1} + ... + \frac{1}{n}, T_{2n} = \frac{1}{1} + \frac{1}{2} + ... + \frac{1}{n} + ... + \frac{1}{2n-1} + \frac{1}{2n}, S_{n} = T_{2n} - T_{n} = \frac{1}{2n(2n+1)} - \frac{1}{n(n+1)}[/tex]

1. How does proof by induction work?

Proof by induction is a mathematical technique used to prove statements about a set of integers, typically denoted by n. It involves two main steps: the base case and the inductive step. The base case is where the statement is proven to be true for the smallest possible value of n, usually n = 1. The inductive step then shows that if the statement is true for n, it must also be true for n+1. By proving both the base case and the inductive step, the statement is proven to be true for all values of n.

2. How do you use proof by induction to prove Sn = 1/(2n)?

To prove Sn = 1/(2n) using induction, we first show that the statement is true for n = 1 (the base case). This can be done by simply plugging in n = 1 to the equation and showing that S1 = 1/2. Next, we assume that the statement is true for n and use this assumption to prove that it is also true for n+1 (the inductive step). This is usually done by manipulating the equation to show that Sn+1 = 1/(2(n+1)). By proving both the base case and the inductive step, we have proven that the statement is true for all values of n.

3. What is the purpose of proof by induction in mathematics?

The purpose of proof by induction is to prove that a statement is true for all values of an infinite set of integers, typically denoted by n. This allows us to make generalizations and conclusions about properties that hold true for all values in the set. It is a powerful tool in mathematics and is commonly used in various fields such as algebra, number theory, and calculus.

4. Are there any limitations to proof by induction?

While proof by induction is a useful technique, it does have its limitations. It can only be used to prove statements about integers, and therefore cannot be applied to non-integer values. In addition, it may not be applicable to all mathematical problems and may require alternative methods of proof. Furthermore, it is important to ensure that the base case and inductive step are both logically sound and valid in order for the proof to be considered valid.

5. Can proof by induction be used to prove all mathematical statements?

No, proof by induction cannot be used to prove all mathematical statements. It is only applicable to statements about integers, and there are many mathematical statements that do not involve integers. Additionally, some statements may require more complex or alternative methods of proof. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the problem and determine if proof by induction is an appropriate approach.