Guide to Constructing a Proof by Induction for Natural Numbers

In summary, the conversation involves a person asking for help with a proof by induction for a proposition involving natural numbers. They provide their own attempt at the proof and ask for guidance in constructing it formally. Another person provides a step-by-step explanation of how to proceed with the proof, including extracting P(k) and using algebraic manipulations to reach an identity. The original person expresses difficulty in understanding the algebraic steps, but acknowledges understanding the overall process.
wubie
Hello,

I have to prove the following by induction for all of n which are elements of N:

1^3 + 2^3 + ... n^3 = 1/4 * n^2 * (n + 1)^2

Now, I have never been successful at proofs, much less proofs by induction. And I never have really had any formal instruction on how to construct a proof by induction. So I could use all the help I can get.

NOTE: I do NOT want someone to give me an answer. I would rather someone guide me to an answer illustrating a formal method of constructing a proof by induction (with anotations on the side if possible). [?]

BTW, I am using "Schaum's Outlines: Modern Abstract Algebra". And my question is in Chapter 3: Natural Numbers, page 37, 25 c).

I know this is a tall order, but if anyone cares to spend the time to teach, I will most certainly spend the time to learn.

Here is my work so far. Note: Although I may have some steps in the proper order, and it may seem like I know what I am doing, I really do not. That is, I don't know the reasoning behind every step that I do and why it is in the format that it is. That being said, onto the proof.

Propostition:

== state the proposition

P(n): 1^3 + 2^3 + ... n^3 = 1/4 * n^2 * (n + 1)^2

for every n which is an element of N (the set of Natural numbers).

Base Case: P(1)

== show that the proposition holds for the first element in the set.

1^3 = 1/4 * 1^2 * (1 + 1)^2
1 = 1

So P(1) is true.

Inductive Case:

== show that if the proposition holds for an element k, it should hold for it's successor.

If P(k) is true then P(k+1) must be also true.

(Here is where I am definitely in the dark on how to proceed).

Any help is appreciated. BTW, how is the proof so far? Am I interpreting it correctly? And is my format sound?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oooh, I love these! :smile:

Let me start from scratch.

Proof by Induction
For some statement P(n) on some integer n, if it is the case that:

1. P(1) is true and
2. P(k)-->P(k+1),

for some integer k, then it is the case the P(n) is true for all n.

The statement P(n) in your case is that:

edit: After the summation sign (Σ), the subscript (j=1) gives the lower limit of summation, and the superscript (n) gives the upper limit of summation. Sorry, I can't make it look any prettier than that.

Σj=1nj3=(1/4)n2(n+1)2

You've shown that P(1) is true. For the inductive step, write down P(k+1) and try to extract P(k) from it.

P(k+1)=Σj=1k+1j3=(1/4)(k+1)2(k+2)2

Note that all I did is substitute k+1 for n wherever n appears in P(n). Now, note that I can rewrite the sum above as a sum from 1 to k, plus the (k+1)st term, as follows:

Σj=1kj3+(k+1)3=(1/4)(k+1)2(k+2)2

Now note that the sum from 1 to k is just P(k). Assuming P(k) is true, you can cancel it from the left hand side if you also cancel the right side of P(k) from the right side of P(k+1). You should be left with an identity, which proves that P(k) implies P(k+1).

edit: just worked it out and it comes out perfect

Last edited:
Ok. I did what you did Tom all the way up to the point where I sub into P(n) k+1 for every n in P(n). But it is the extraction of P(k) which gives me trouble.

BTW, the phrasing "extract P(K)" was perfect. That was a part I didn't originally understand with respect to induction. But you rectified that.

I see this part:

Now note that the sum from 1 to k is just P(k).

But I can seem to get this part:

Assuming P(k) is true, you can cancel it from the left hand side if you also cancel the right side of P(k) from the right side of P(k+1). You should be left with an identity, which proves that P(k) implies P(k+1).

[?]

Last edited by a moderator:
But I can seem to get this part:

Assuming P(k) is true, you can cancel it from the left hand side if you also cancel the right side of P(k) from the right side of P(k+1). You should be left with an identity, which proves that P(k) implies P(k+1).

OK, note that the part in blue below is just P(k).

Σj=1kj3+(k+1)3=(1/4)(k+1)2(k+2)2

What you need to do is expand the right hand side of both P(k) and of P(k+1). Then, you can subtract Σj=1kj3 from the left side of the above, and you can also subtract (1/4)x2(x+1)2 from the right side of the above (since those two quantities are equal).

What you will be left with is:

(k+1)3=(1/4)(4k3+12k2+12k+4)

or...

(k+1)3=k3+3k2+3k+1,

which is an identity.

edit: fixed an omission

Last edited:
Geez Tom, I must be the most dense substance on the planet. I can see what you are doing the left side of the equation. But I just can't see what you are doing on the right side. I also understand what you are saying. I just cannot see it.

:frown: [?]

I see this and worked out this relation:

[sum]i=1ni3=(1/4)(n2)(n+1)2

and I see and worked out this part of the next relation on the left side myself:

[sum]i=1ki3 + (k+1)3

But I don't see how you arrived at

(1/4)(k+1)3(k+1+1)3

on the left side.

This is what I would have at if I was to do it:

(1/4)(k+1)2(k+1+1)2

How did you get a power of three? I can't see that. [?]

If I was to do it this way:

{ (1/4)(k2)(k+1)2 } + (k+1)3

I still don't see how I would get

(1/4)(k+1)3(k+1+1)3

What the hey??!?? :frown: [?]

Am I missing some basic algebraic step? [?]

At least I understand what you are trying to do. I just don't understand how you arrived at the answer.

OK, here is the solution in all the gory details.

P(k)=Σj=1k=(1/4)k2(k+1)2

Expanding the rightmost side, I get:

P(k)=Σj=13=(1/4)(k4+2k3+k2)

Now, look at P(k+1):

Σj=1k+1j3=(1/4)(k+1)2(k+2)2

I am going to manipulate both sides of this statement, one at a time:

Isolate (k+1)st Term On Left Side:
Σj=1k+1=Σjkj3+(k+1)3

Expand Right Side:
(1/4)(k4+6k3+13k2+12k+4)

So, I have:

Σj=1kj3+(k+1)3=(1/4)(k4+6k3+13k2+12k+4)

Now, remember P(k)? Assume it is true, and subtract it from P(k+1). It will be handy if you subtract the left side of P(k) from the left side of P(k+1), and do likewise with their right sides. I am going to denote both sides of P(k) with the color blue.

Then you get:

Σj=1kj3+(k+1)3-Σj=1kj3=(1/4)(k4+6k3+13k2+12k+4)-(1/4)(k4+2k3+k2)

And finally,

(k+1)3=k3+3k2+3k+1

which is an identity. Therefore, P(k)-->P(k+1).

edit: fixed superscript bracket

Originally posted by wubie
But I don't see how you arrived at

(1/4)(k+1)3(k+1+1)3

on the left side.

You mean the right side, don't you?

Ah, see, that's a sophisticated mathematical technique known as a "mistake".

Sorry, I've fixed the error. It should read as you have it below:

This is what I would have at if I was to do it:

(1/4)(k+1)2(k+1+1)2

Yes, that's it. Proceed from there.

Alright. I thought I was going insane there for a minute.

I have been known to make some pretty weird mathematical assumptions. (You know your assumptions are weird when the prof. looks at you with that look, "What the heck are you doing in my class?" It sure shakes one's confidence in one's mathematical abilities).

Oh, by the way, for future reference, I do not know my right from my left.

Ok. I will see if I can get the proof without looking at your solution. I don't like copying. I like doing. I just need a little help implementing it.

Thanks for your help Tom.

Especially for the comment about extractin P(k). That comment sort of crystalized things for me.

1. What is a proof by induction for natural numbers?

A proof by induction for natural numbers is a mathematical technique used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It involves breaking down the statement into a base case and an inductive step, and then proving that the statement holds for both the base case and for any natural number by using the inductive step.

2. When is a proof by induction used?

A proof by induction is commonly used in mathematics to prove statements that involve natural numbers, such as properties of integers or sequences. It is also used in computer science and other fields to prove the correctness of algorithms and programs.

3. How do you construct a proof by induction?

To construct a proof by induction, you first need to identify the statement you want to prove and break it down into a base case and an inductive step. Then, you must prove that the statement holds for the base case. Finally, you must prove that if the statement holds for any natural number, it also holds for the next natural number (the inductive step).

4. What are the key elements of a proof by induction?

The key elements of a proof by induction include the base case, the inductive step, and the inductive hypothesis. The base case is the starting point of the proof, typically when the statement is true for the first natural number. The inductive step shows that if the statement is true for a certain natural number, it must also be true for the next natural number. The inductive hypothesis is the assumption that the statement is true for a certain natural number, which is used to prove the inductive step.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when constructing a proof by induction?

Some common mistakes to avoid when constructing a proof by induction include assuming that the statement is true for all natural numbers without properly proving the base case, incorrectly applying the inductive step, and using circular reasoning. It is also important to clearly state and explain each step of the proof and to avoid making assumptions about the statement that are not explicitly stated in the problem.