Proof by Induction: 2n ≤ n! for All n ≥ 4

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the inequality 2n ≤ n! for all n ≥ 4 using induction. The steps for the proof are outlined, with a suggestion to distinguish the induction hypothesis by using a different variable to avoid confusion. The conversation ends with a thank you for the clarification.
mliuzzolino

Homework Statement

Prove 2n ≤ n! for all n ≥ 4.

Homework Equations

(n+1)! = (n+1)n!

The Attempt at a Solution

First, notice P(4): 24 = 16 = 4*4 ≤ 4*6 = 4 * 3 * 2 * 1 = 4!.

Supposing P(n) is true, check P(n+1):

2n+1 = 2*2n

≤ 2 * n!

≤ (n+1)*n!

= (n+1)!

Q.E.D.

I know I'm going wrong in the bold red step as I'm using the very statement I'm trying to prove. I have no idea what to do at this step.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually you wrote "Supposing P(n) is true" which means exactly that [itex]2^n < n![/itex] for this particular n. You don't know it is true for n + 1 as well, that is what you are trying to prove.

What you have written looks like a valid proof by induction to me. You have shown that it is true for n = 4. Then, assuming it is true for n = 4, you have shown that it holds for n = 5. Assuming it is true for n = 5, it holds for n = 6, etc.

Hmmm. I would examine the case of n=5, n=6, and so forth, and consider WHY the result you are trying to prove it true. Once you figure that out, you translate it into mathematical language.

You didn't use what you were trying to prove, you used what some people call the "induction hypothesis" in your proof itself, which is perfectly acceptable, and in many cases, required (often it is what drives us to inductively prove in the first place.)

HOWEVER, I do understand where your confusion lies. I would like to make the following suggestion to you to avoid this confusion in your proof writing.

When making your induction hypothesis, don't say "assume P(n) is true." Say: "Assume that for some k in N, P(k) is true."

This distinguishes between the designation "n" to be "some natural number" in the theoem and k to be "THIS natural number, for which I am assuming my theorem holds."

Suppose that for some k in N, P(k) is holds true. Now, consider the case of n=k+1.

P(k+1):

2k+1 = 2*2k

≤ 2 * k!

≤ (k+1)*k!

= (k+1)!

Q.E.D.

Basically, I'm saying that you should call the number of your induction hypothesis something different. As mathematicians, we should say what we mean and mean what we say, and you are not really assuming that P(n) is true, because that is your theorem.

1MileCrash said:
You didn't use what you were trying to prove, you used what some people call the "induction hypothesis" in your proof itself, which is perfectly acceptable, and in many cases, required (often it is what drives us to inductively prove in the first place.)

HOWEVER, I do understand where your confusion lies. I would like to make the following suggestion to you to avoid this confusion in your proof writing.

When making your induction hypothesis, don't say "assume P(n) is true." Say: "Assume that for some k in N, P(k) is true."

This distinguishes between the designation "n" to be "some natural number" in the theoem and k to be "THIS natural number, for which I am assuming my theorem holds."

Suppose that for some k in N, P(k) is holds true. Now, consider the case of n=k+1.

P(k+1):

2k+1 = 2*2k

≤ 2 * k!

≤ (k+1)*k!

= (k+1)!

Q.E.D.

Basically, I'm saying that you should call the number of your induction hypothesis something different. As mathematicians, we should say what we mean and mean what we say, and you are not really assuming that P(n) is true, because that is your theorem.

This helped clarify the majority of my confusion. Thank you so much!

1. How does proof by induction work?

Proof by induction is a mathematical technique used to prove that a statement or property holds for all natural numbers. It involves proving a base case, typically n = 1, and then showing that if the statement holds for some arbitrary integer k, it also holds for k+1. This creates a chain of logic that proves the statement for all natural numbers.

2. What is the base case in this proof?

The base case in this proof is n = 4. This means that we must show that 2n ≤ n! holds for n = 4.

3. How do we prove the inductive step?

To prove the inductive step, we assume that the statement holds for some arbitrary integer k. Then, we must show that it also holds for k+1. This can be done by plugging in k+1 for n in the original statement and simplifying until we arrive at the desired result.

4. Why is n = 4 chosen as the base case?

N = 4 is chosen as the base case because it is the smallest integer greater than or equal to 4. This ensures that the statement holds for all values of n ≥ 4. Additionally, it is often easier to work with a specific value for the base case rather than a general statement for all natural numbers.

5. Can this proof technique be used for other statements?

Yes, proof by induction can be used to prove a variety of statements and properties involving natural numbers. However, it is important to carefully choose the base case and ensure that the inductive step is logically sound in order for the proof to be valid.