1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof by induction

1. Sep 29, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone,
    I am trying to learn proof by induction method from http://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Algebra/Proofs/Exercises [Broken]
    And I have tried to solve the second problem attached with this post. It will be great if someone can tell me if I am wrong anywhere and then guide me.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The line quoted below is wrong.
    "It follows that (k + 1)! > 2k + 1"
    This is precisely what you need to show! You can't just wave your arms and say that "it follows that ..." without showing it.

To show this, note that (k + 1)! = (k + 1)k!. Use your induction hypothesis (i.e., that k! > 2k) to finish the proof.

BTW, your thread should have been posted in the Homework & Coursework section, not in the technical math sections (especially not in the Linear and Abstract Algebra section. I am moving your thread.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted