Proving the Real Part Summation Property for Complex Numbers

In summary: I wasn't thinking so much about "distributing" the Re on the left side (the point of the proof is to show that you can actually do this, so it would be circular reasoning to use it in the proof), more like adding the numbers first and then taking the real part. I'm almost going to give away the whole proof here, but it follows so quickly from basic definitions that it's hard not to:(a_1+b_1i)+(a_2+b_2i)=(a_1+a_2)+(b_1+b_2)i.Now just extend this to more than two numbers and you're well on your way.
freezer

Homework Statement

Prove for complex number z1, z2, ..., zn that:

[itex]
\mathbb{R}e\left \{ \sum_{k=1}^{N} z_{k}\right \} = \sum_{k=1}^{N}\mathbb{R}e\left \{ z_{k} \right \}
[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to setup this problem.

I was thinking:

[itex]
\mathbb{R}e\left \{ \sum_{k=1}^{N} {a_{k}} + \sum_{k=1}^{N} {ib_{k}} \right \} = \sum_{k=1}^{N}\mathbb{R}e\left \{ a_{k} + ib_{k}\right \}
[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried induction?

kostas230 said:
Have you tried induction?

I have not, only ever done trig proofs and not exactly sure what to do. With what i found with inductions, i still not sure how to set it up. When i look at this, i don't see a path to get the left to look like the right.

The real part [itex]Re(z)[/itex] of a complex number [itex]z=a+bi[/itex], where [itex]a,b[/itex] are real numbers, can be found by the formula: [itex]Re(z)=(z+\bar{z})/2[/itex], where [itex]\bar{z}=a-bi[/itex].

Next time, study harder before asking for help ;)

kostas230 said:
The real part [itex]Re(z)[/itex] of a complex number [itex]z=a+bi[/itex], where [itex]a,b[/itex] are real numbers, can be found by the formula: [itex]Re(z)=(z+\bar{z})/2[/itex], where [itex]\bar{z}=a-bi[/itex].

Next time, study harder before asking for help ;)

Okay, thanks for the advice.

So we can show that:

[itex]
\frac{N}{2}(z + \bar{z}) = \frac{N}{2}(z + \bar{z})
[/itex]

Ummm, no. If [itex]z=\sum_{i=1}^N z_i[/itex] then:

[tex]Re(z)=\frac{\sum_{i=1}^N z_i+\bar{z}_i}{2}=\sum_{i=1}^N \frac{z_i+\bar{z}_i}{2}=\sum_{i=1}^N Re(z_i)[/tex]

I don't get why it's that hard.

kostas230 said:
Ummm, no. If [itex]z=\sum_{i=1}^N z_i[/itex] then:

[tex]Re(z)=\frac{\sum_{i=1}^N z_i+\bar{z}_i}{2}=\sum_{i=1}^N \frac{z_i+\bar{z}_i}{2}=\sum_{i=1}^N Re(z_i)[/tex]

I don't get why it's that hard.

Maybe using sigma notation and induction just makes it look hard to someone who doesn't have much experience with proofs. I think the supposedly horrifying lack of rigor in

[tex]Re[(a_1+b_1i)+(a_2+b_2i)+\dots+(a_N+b_Ni)]=\dots=Re(a_1+b_1i)+Re(a_2+b_2i)+\dots+Re(a_N+b_Ni)[/tex]

is worth it if it makes the proof easier to read and understand. freezer, can you fill in the middle steps?

Tobias Funke said:
Maybe using sigma notation and induction just makes it look hard to someone who doesn't have much experience with proofs. I think the supposedly horrifying lack of rigor in

[tex]Re[(a_1+b_1i)+(a_2+b_2i)+\dots+(a_N+b_Ni)]=\dots=Re(a_1+b_1i)+Re(a_2+b_2i)+\dots+Re(a_N+b_Ni)[/tex]

is worth it if it makes the proof easier to read and understand. freezer, can you fill in the middle steps?

I suppose my inadequacy in proofs is apparent, as horrifying as that may be. Having been out of academics for over 20 years, I spend a lot more time on re-learning things much that of the homework expects you to have recent experience with. So please accept my apology for being a bit slow.

As for the intermediate steps in the series, I can see that distributing the Re gets from one series to the next but what else is to be shown in between? Once the Re is distributed, we can work toward the right hand side.

freezer said:
I suppose my inadequacy in proofs is apparent, as horrifying as that may be. Having been out of academics for over 20 years, I spend a lot more time on re-learning things much that of the homework expects you to have recent experience with. So please accept my apology for being a bit slow.

As for the intermediate steps in the series, I can see that distributing the Re gets from one series to the next but what else is to be shown in between? Once the Re is distributed, we can work toward the right hand side.

I wasn't thinking so much about "distributing" the Re on the left side (the point of the proof is to show that you can actually do this, so it would be circular reasoning to use it in the proof), more like adding the numbers first and then taking the real part. I'm almost going to give away the whole proof here, but it follows so quickly from basic definitions that it's hard not to:

[tex](a_1+b_1i)+(a_2+b_2i)=(a_1+a_2)+(b_1+b_2)i.[/tex]

Now just extend this to more than two numbers and you're well on your way. I was being a little sarcastic with the "horrifying lack of rigor" remark, because most people don't think anything with ... is an acceptable proof, and induction is required. That's technically true, I suppose, and you should try to understand kostas230's proof as well, but I think the ellipses give the idea of the proof better than induction in this case.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have a real part and an imaginary part. They can be written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part, b is the imaginary part, and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. Why do we need complex numbers?

Complex numbers are useful in mathematics and science because they allow us to solve equations that cannot be solved with real numbers alone. They also have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. How are complex numbers represented on a graph?

Complex numbers can be represented on a graph known as the complex plane, where the horizontal axis represents the real part and the vertical axis represents the imaginary part. The number a + bi can be plotted as the point (a, b) on the complex plane.

4. What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number a + bi is the number a - bi. It is obtained by changing the sign of the imaginary part. For example, the conjugate of 2 + 3i is 2 - 3i.

5. How do we perform operations with complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, we simply add or subtract their real and imaginary parts separately. To multiply complex numbers, we use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last) just like in algebra. Division of complex numbers can be done by multiplying both the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator.