1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Proof Equivalence relation

1. Feb 15, 2010 #1
    In R x R , ley (x,y) R (u,v) if ax^2 +by^2=au^2 + bv^2, where a,b >0. Determine the relation R is an equivalnce relation. Prove or give a counter example

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi nikie1o2! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Tell us how far you've got, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

4. Feb 16, 2010 #3
    Re: Welcome to PF!

Hello, thank you for the warm welcome.

I have done equivalence relations before but with just two variables not 4. So i was confused on how to prove the reflexive, symmetric & transitive properties.

For reflexive i was thinking if (x,y)R(x,y) then ax^2+by^2=ax^2+by^2- so that is true
    Symmetry: (x,y)R(u,v) then (u,v)R(x,y) is true

For Transitive i knoe if(x,y)R(u,v) and (u,v)R(a,b), then (x,y)R(a,b). Im just confused on how to show the equations for that and that it's true...

5. Feb 16, 2010 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Moderator's note:
    Homework assignments or textbook style exercises for which you are seeking assistance are to be posted in the appropriate forum in our https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152" area. This should be done whether the problem is part of one's assigned coursework or just independent study.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  6. Feb 17, 2010 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hello nikie1o2! :smile:

(Please use the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    Just write out the definitions of (x,y)R(u,v) and (u,v)R(a,b) … then it should be obvious! :smile:

(btw, the equivalence classes are a well-known geometrical shape … can you se which?)

7. Feb 17, 2010 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just a comment: using "a" and "b" is a bad choice of variable names in this problem. May I suggest using "s" and "t" instead? I.e., use
    (u,v)R(s,t)​
    instead of
    (u,v)R(a,b)​
    when working out the transitive property.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook