Proof error simpsons rule

In summary, the author has tried to figure out a proof for simspons error that he found online, but is unsure about some parts of the proof. He has sorted out the proof he thinks to (9), but wonders how the author could assume that F is continuous on [0,h] when F is a different function in 0. He also wonders about a thing in the beginning of the proof. It seems that the author subdivides an interval of simpson approximation in two from \frac{b-a}{n} to (a): \frac{b-a}{2n} How can they just change that? If I were to explain it the
georg gill
I have tried to figure out a proof for simspons error that I found online

http://rowdy.mscd.edu/~talmanl/PDFs/Misc/Quintics.pdf

it is on page 149

I have sorted out the proof I think to (9) including (9). But I wonder how they could assume that F is continuous on [0,h] when F is a different function in 0? It looks like derivative but one has -t to 0 and the other have t to zero would it not give different direction for the derivative?

EDIT: Got it -t in denumerator right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I also wonder about a thing in the beginning of the proof. It seems they subdivide an interval of simpson approximation in two from

[tex] \frac{b-a}{n}[/tex] to (a): [tex] \frac{b-a}{2n}[/tex]

How can they just change that? If I were to explain it the best I would think I guess would be to start with derivation of simpson rule and start with parabola centered somewhere else then in origo:

[tex]y=Ax^2+Bx+C[/tex]

Integrate to find real value underneath it

[tex]y=[\frac{A}{3}x^3+\frac{B}{2}x^2+Cx]^h_{-h}[/tex]

(I):

[tex]y=\frac{h}{3}(2ah^2+6C)[/tex]

Use the values on the graph for -h, 0 and h:

[tex]y_0=Ah^2-Bh+C[/tex] [tex]y_0=C[/tex] [tex]y_0=Ah^2+Bh+C[/tex]

and (I) becomes

(II):

[tex]y=\frac{h}{3}(2ah^2+6C)=\frac{h}{3}(y_0+4y_1+y_2)[/tex]

How can we just divide (II) in two like in (a)? When it is derived from something else? It seems that is what they do in the proof.

I am also a bit unsure about if u=h in proof where h is defined in the beginning of the proof. Is that right that u=h?

[tex] \frac{b-a}{n}[/tex] to (a): [tex] \frac{b-a}{2n}[/tex]

I think they only use 2n instead of n and it is just a matter of definition. I only wonder about one thing about this proof now. In the beginning they define

[tex] h=\frac{b-a}{2n}[/tex]

in (8) they use limits [0,h] which they talk about in the beginning to approximate error function on [0,h]

So far I get that. But in (11) they go back to using the simpson equation is this kth interval described there [0,h] 0r [-u,u]? I thought it would fit to give it the same interval as in the beginning of the proof, the first formula after proof is written as a semiheader which is [-u,u]. But I don't see how they then would get from [0,h] before (11) to [-u,u]

1. What is Simpson's Rule?

Simpson's Rule is a method used in numerical analysis to approximate the definite integral of a function. It is based on dividing the area under the curve into smaller sections and approximating each section as a parabola.

2. How does Simpson's Rule work?

Simpson's Rule works by using the formula: A = (b-a)/6 * (f(a) + 4*f((a+b)/2) + f(b)), where a and b are the limits of the integral and f(x) is the function being integrated. This formula takes into account the area of three points (a, (a+b)/2, b) and approximates it as a parabola.

3. What is a proof error in Simpson's Rule?

A proof error in Simpson's Rule refers to any mistake or incorrect assumption made during the derivation or proof of the formula. This can lead to incorrect results when using the rule to approximate integrals.

4. How can proof errors in Simpson's Rule be detected?

Proof errors in Simpson's Rule can be detected by comparing the results obtained using the rule to the exact value of the integral. If there is a significant difference between the two, it could indicate a proof error in the formula or method used.

5. Are there any alternative methods to Simpson's Rule?

Yes, there are several alternative methods to Simpson's Rule such as the Trapezoidal Rule, Midpoint Rule, and Gaussian Quadrature. These methods may be more accurate or efficient for certain types of integrals or functions.