1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof exercise

1. Jul 31, 2013 #1

reenmachine

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that if ##x \in ℝ## and ##0<x<4## , then ##\frac{4}{x(4-x)}≥1##.

(I'm really not sure about that one but managed to attempt something)

2. Relevant equations

We first want to prove that ##\forall y \in \mathbb{Z}## , the largest product of any ##a,b \in ℝ## with ##a+b=y## is when ##a=b=\frac{y}{2}##.

Suppose ##a=b=\frac{y}{2}##.We have ##\frac{y}{2} \cdot \frac{y}{2} = \frac{y^2}{4}##.

Now suppose ##a≠b≠\frac{y}{2}##.This implies that ##\exists x \in ℝ \ \ a=(\frac{y}{2}-x) \ \ b=(\frac{y}{2}+x)## with ##a## and ##b## being interchangeable.We have ##(\frac{y}{2}-x)(\frac{y}{2}+x) = \frac{y^2}{4}-x^2##.Since ##\frac{y^2}{4} > \frac{y^2}{4}-x^2## , this proves that ##\forall y \in \mathbb{Z}## , the largest product of any ##a,b \in ℝ## with ##a+b=y## is when ##a=b=\frac{y}{2}##.

To get back at our original proof , we know that ##x+(4-x)=4##.From our proof above , we know that the largest product from any ##a,b \in ℝ## such that ##a+b=4## is if ##a=b=\frac{4}{2}##.We have ##2 \cdot 2 = 4##.This gives us ##\frac{4}{4}=1##.Since all other products of any other ##a,b \in ℝ## will result in a smaller number , we know that ##\frac{4}{4-n} \ \ n \in \mathbb{R} = 1+c ## with ##c \in R^+##.This proves that if ##x \in ℝ## and ##0<x<4## , then ##\frac{4}{x(4-x)}≥1##.

any help greatly appreciated!!! thank you!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2013 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

4. Jul 31, 2013 #3

reenmachine

Gold Member

Unfortunately I don't know about these concepts yet.I just tried to solve it on top of my head.Thank you for answering! Does this mean that the proof is incorrect , or is it simply a clearer way of proving it?

5. Jul 31, 2013 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Your proof is correct (except I am slightly confused by your y why is it important that it is an integer and is it defined by a+b=y or ab<=y^2/4 (of course both are true, but one is assumed and the other shown)) . As I mentioned you proof is the same as writing x(4-x)=4-(x-2)^2. In that form it is easy to see that x(4-x)=4-(x-2)^2<=4 with equality when x=2. We can also generalize slightly and write
    $$ab=\left( \frac{a+b}{2} \right) ^2 - \left( \frac{a-b}{2} \right) ^2 \le \left( \frac{a+b}{2} \right) ^2 $$
    we see that a=b is required for equality.

6. Jul 31, 2013 #5

verty

Homework Helper

My method for questions like this one is to simplify the formula hoping to reverse the steps later. In this case it works brilliantly.

7. Jul 31, 2013 #6
    Can you use calculus? This seems like an easy place to use derivatives to just show the local minimum on ##x\in(0,4)## is greater than or equal to 1.

Your proof seems alright though. There are a few parts where I'm a little hesitant, though. Your notation toward the end implies that ##n## is a real number equal to ##1+c## for some positive real number ##c##. Clear these kinds of things up and you should be fine.

8. Jul 31, 2013 #7

reenmachine

Gold Member

No I didn't learn calculus yet unfortunately.Perhaps this is the wrong section for me to be in , but I figured writing proof didn't belong in the pre-calculus section.

(I edited the n in N for n in R at the end but meant n in R+)

Thanks for the advices!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted