1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof for al integers n, if n is prime then (-1)^n = -1, can i use counter example?

1. Sep 17, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone. I'm wondering if i'm allowed to use a counter example to disprove this. I'm not sure if i'm understanding the statement correctly though. THe directions are:
    Determine whether the statement is true or false. Justify your answer with a rpoof or a counterexample.

Here is the question:
    FOr all integers n, if n is prime then (-1)^n = -1.

If it says for ALL integers n, doesn't this mean negatives as well? If it said for All positive integers than wouldn't it be true? But if i let n = -1, i would get (-1)^(-1) = 1, not -1. But if they said, for all integers n, if n is prime..does this mean they are saying n > 1?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The assertion can be rewritten as: For all prime integers n, (-1)^n = -1

Typically, the term 'primes' is restricted to the positive integers.

Yes, you can use a counter example to disprove it.

4. Sep 17, 2006 #3
    I think it means if n is prime. The integer n seems to be superfluous information.

5. Sep 17, 2006 #4
    Would this be enough to prove it?
    For all integers n, if n is prime then (-1)^n = -1.

False. By definition of a prime number, 2 is an integer and also prime. (-1)^(2) = 1 != -1.

Thanks guys, i actually forgot 2 was a prime number until you said it could be proved with a counter example :blushing:

6. Sep 17, 2006 #5
    Just to clarify (-1)^(-1) IS equal to -1 not 1.

7. Sep 17, 2006 #6
    hah whooops u are right, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?