Proving e^ix = cos x + i sin x

• Thread starter Hyperreality
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos Sin
In summary: One possible way to prove the identity is to use the infinite sums for e^x, sin(x), and cos(x) and rearrange the terms to see how they relate to each other. Another method is to use the function z = cos(x) + i*sin(x) and show that it satisfies the same differential equation and initial conditions as e^x. Ultimately, both methods lead to the conclusion that e^ix = cos x + i sin x.
Hyperreality
How can I proof the identity

e^ix = cos x + i sin x?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Consider the infinite sums:
e^x = 1 + x/1! + x^2/2! + x^3/3! + ...
sin(x) = x/1! - x^3/3! + x^5/5! -x^7/7! + ...
cos(x) = 1 - x^2/2! + x^4/4! -x^6/6! + ...

e^ix = 1 + ix/1! + (ix)^2/2! + (ix)^3/3!...
Notice the patterns with the powers of i and rearrange the terms to see how they relate to sin and cos.

or check that both functions satisfy the same de and same initial conditions,

i.e. f'' + f = 0 and f(0) = 1, f'(0) = i.

Hyperreality said:
How can I proof the identity

e^ix = cos x + i sin x?

You could use the function z = cos(x) + i*sin(x) with z(0)=1 and dz/dx = -sin(x) + i*cos(x) = i*cos(x) + i^2*sin(x) = i*(cos(x)+i*sin(x)) = iz. Which gives dz/dx = iz <=> dz/z = i dx integration gives [tex] \int \frac{dz}{z} = \int i \ dx [/tex] which gives ln(z) + C = ix + D => ln(z) = ix+E => z = e^(ix+E). Now we have that cos(x)+i*sin(x) = e^(ix+E), and with z(0)=1 it gives that e^(i*0+E)=e^E=1 => E=0 which yields e^(ix)=cos(x)+i*sin(x).

Edit: E = D - C

In other words, there are a number of different proofs, depending on what you already know and how you are defining the different functions.

1. What is the meaning of e^ix?

The notation e^ix represents the exponential function, where i is the imaginary unit (i = √-1) and x is a real number. It is commonly used in complex analysis and has important applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. How does e^ix relate to trigonometric functions?

The relationship between e^ix and trigonometric functions is given by Euler's formula, which states that e^ix = cos x + i sin x. This formula connects the exponential function with the trigonometric functions cosine and sine, and is a fundamental result in complex analysis.

3. Can e^ix be proven using only algebra?

No, e^ix cannot be proven using only algebra. The proof of e^ix = cos x + i sin x requires the use of calculus and complex analysis, specifically the Maclaurin series expansion of the exponential function and properties of the imaginary unit.

4. Why is e^ix important?

Euler's formula and the resulting e^ix = cos x + i sin x have many important applications in mathematics and physics. They are used in solving differential equations, analyzing oscillating systems, and understanding the behavior of waves. Additionally, they have connections to other areas of mathematics such as number theory and geometry.

5. Is e^ix equal to cos x + i sin x for all values of x?

Yes, e^ix = cos x + i sin x is true for all real numbers x. This can be seen by plugging in different values of x into the equation and observing that the resulting complex number is always on the unit circle (i.e. has a magnitude of 1). This property is known as the periodicity of the exponential function.