1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof for e^ix

1. Sep 23, 2004 #1
    How can I proof the identity

e^ix = cos x + i sin x?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2004 #2

CTS

Consider the infinite sums:
    e^x = 1 + x/1! + x^2/2! + x^3/3! + ...
    sin(x) = x/1! - x^3/3! + x^5/5! -x^7/7! + ...
    cos(x) = 1 - x^2/2! + x^4/4! -x^6/6! + ...

e^ix = 1 + ix/1! + (ix)^2/2! + (ix)^3/3!...
    Notice the patterns with the powers of i and rearrange the terms to see how they relate to sin and cos.

4. Sep 23, 2004 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

or check that both functions satisfy the same de and same initial conditions,

i.e. f'' + f = 0 and f(0) = 1, f'(0) = i.

5. Sep 24, 2004 #4
    You could use the function z = cos(x) + i*sin(x) with z(0)=1 and dz/dx = -sin(x) + i*cos(x) = i*cos(x) + i^2*sin(x) = i*(cos(x)+i*sin(x)) = iz. Which gives dz/dx = iz <=> dz/z = i dx integration gives [tex] \int \frac{dz}{z} = \int i \ dx [/tex] which gives ln(z) + C = ix + D => ln(z) = ix+E => z = e^(ix+E). Now we have that cos(x)+i*sin(x) = e^(ix+E), and with z(0)=1 it gives that e^(i*0+E)=e^E=1 => E=0 which yields e^(ix)=cos(x)+i*sin(x).

Edit: E = D - C

6. Sep 24, 2004 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In other words, there are a number of different proofs, depending on what you already know and how you are defining the different functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?