Proof for Lorentz Transformation of Momentum: Step Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of a step in the Lorentz transformation for momentum. The speaker is having trouble manipulating the algebra to derive the expression on the right hand side and is interested in a quicker solution. One of the participants suggests using the properties of 4-vectors and the proper time of the particle to simplify the derivation, while another suggests using the transformation of time coordinates. After some discussion and trying out different methods, the speaker is able to successfully derive the expression.
little neutrino
Hi. In the attached proof for Lorentz transformation for momentum http://www.colorado.edu/physics/phys2170/phys2170_sp07/downloads/lorentz_transformation_E_p.pdf, there is this step that I don't understand:

1/√1-u'2/c2 = γ(1-vux/c2)/√1-u2/c2

Can someone explain how they derived this? Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Which part of this step don't you understand? Can you show exactly where you get stuck?

I tried substituting the Lorentz transformation for u'
ux' = (ux-v)/(1-uxv/c2)
into the LHS
and simplifying it from there, but I couldn't derive the expression on the RHS :(

little neutrino said:
ux' = (ux-v)/(1-uxv/c2)
into the LHS
and simplifying it from there, but I couldn't derive the expression on the RHS :(

Yes, it's quite difficult algebra to derive this identity. You have three gamma factors and a velocity transformation formula to manage. You just have to keep working at it.

There is a quicker way using the properties of 4-vectors and the proper time of the particle if you are comfortable with those?

Actually, I've just noticed a very quick way simply using the transformation of the time coordinates ##t## and ##t'##.

Let me know if you are interested in the quick way!

Last edited:
Likes little neutrino
little neutrino said:
ux' = (ux-v)/(1-uxv/c2)
into the LHS

Maybe this is a trivial point, but you have to use the Lorentz transformed expressions for ##u'_y## and ##u'_z## as well as ##u'_x##. Start with ##u'^2=u'^2_x+u'^2_y+u'^2_z## in the LHS. As PeroK says, there's a lot of messy algebra to work through, but it should work out.

PeroK said:

Well, I'm certainly interested if OP isn't. :biggrin:

Likes little neutrino
The relationship between the proper time of the particle and the two coordinate times is:
##\frac{dt}{d\tau} = \gamma, \frac{dt'}{d\tau} = \gamma '## (1)

Differentiate the transformation for time wrt proper time:

##t' = \gamma_V(t - Vx/c^2)##

##\frac{dt'}{d\tau} = \gamma_V(\gamma - V \gamma v_x/c^2) = \gamma_V\gamma (1- Vv_x/c^2) ##

Then, using (1) we have:

##\gamma ' = \gamma_V\gamma (1- Vv_x/c^2)##

In fact, you can derive the energy-momentum transformation much more easily by differentiating the components of position wrt proper time of the particle.

Likes little neutrino, MisterX and TeethWhitener
Wow, that is pretty.

With rapidities (i.e. trigonometry), [itex]\theta'=\theta-\theta_V[/itex],
[itex]\begin{align*}\cosh\theta'
&=\cosh(\theta-\theta_V)\\
&=\cosh\theta\cosh\theta_V-\sinh\theta\sinh\theta_V\\
&=\cosh\theta\cosh\theta_V(1-\tanh\theta\tanh\theta_V)\\
\gamma_{u'}
&=\gamma_{u}\gamma_{V}(1-uV)
\end{align*}[/itex]

Likes vanhees71 and little neutrino
PeroK said:
Yes, it's quite difficult algebra to derive this identity. You have three gamma factors and a velocity transformation formula to manage. You just have to keep working at it.

There is a quicker way using the properties of 4-vectors and the proper time of the particle if you are comfortable with those?

Actually, I've just noticed a very quick way simply using the transformation of the time coordinates ##t## and ##t'##.

Sflr I was caught up with some stuff this week :/ I just figured out the algebraic manipulation after substitution of u' ; I realized that I had to observe the final expression more closely instead of blindly manipulating the algebra. Thanks so much for your help! :)

TeethWhitener said:
Maybe this is a trivial point, but you have to use the Lorentz transformed expressions for ##u'_y## and ##u'_z## as well as ##u'_x##. Start with ##u'^2=u'^2_x+u'^2_y+u'^2_z## in the LHS. As PeroK says, there's a lot of messy algebra to work through, but it should work out.
Well, I'm certainly interested if OP isn't. :biggrin:
Yup, I finally worked through the algebra. Thanks! :)

PeroK said:
The relationship between the proper time of the particle and the two coordinate times is:
##\frac{dt}{d\tau} = \gamma, \frac{dt'}{d\tau} = \gamma '## (1)

Differentiate the transformation for time wrt proper time:

##t' = \gamma_V(t - Vx/c^2)##

##\frac{dt'}{d\tau} = \gamma_V(\gamma - V \gamma v_x/c^2) = \gamma_V\gamma (1- Vv_x/c^2) ##

Then, using (1) we have:

##\gamma ' = \gamma_V\gamma (1- Vv_x/c^2)##

In fact, you can derive the energy-momentum transformation much more easily by differentiating the components of position wrt proper time of the particle.
Woah that's sweet XD Thanks for the alternative solution!

1. What is the Lorentz Transformation of Momentum?

The Lorentz Transformation of Momentum is a mathematical formula that describes how the momentum of an object changes when observed from different reference frames. It is an important concept in the field of special relativity and is derived from the principles of the theory of relativity.

2. Why is the Lorentz Transformation of Momentum important?

The Lorentz Transformation of Momentum is important because it helps us understand how the momentum of an object changes when observed from different frames of reference. This is crucial in understanding the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, which cannot be accurately described by classical Newtonian mechanics.

3. How is momentum affected by the Lorentz Transformation?

The Lorentz Transformation affects the momentum of an object by changing its magnitude and direction when observed from different reference frames. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which occur at high speeds, to accurately describe the momentum of an object.

4. What are the steps for proving the Lorentz Transformation of Momentum?

The steps for proving the Lorentz Transformation of Momentum involve using the Lorentz Transformation equations for time and space to derive an equation for the momentum of an object. This equation is then compared to the classical Newtonian equation for momentum to show how the Lorentz Transformation affects it.

5. Is the Lorentz Transformation of Momentum experimentally verified?

Yes, the Lorentz Transformation of Momentum has been experimentally verified through numerous experiments, including the famous Michelson-Morley experiment. The predictions made by the Lorentz Transformation have been repeatedly confirmed by experiments and are an essential part of our understanding of the behavior of objects at high speeds.