1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof for my exam tomorrow

1. Dec 9, 2005 #1
    stokes theorem says [tex] \int_{S} (\nabla \times G) \bullet dA = \oint_{C} G \bullet ds [/tex] where C is a closed curve bounding the open surface S. Note : dA =n dA, and ds = t ds

use stokes theorem to prove that hte Faraday law of induction [tex] \oint_{C} E \bullet t ds = -\frac{d}{dt} \int_{S_{C}} B \bullet n dA [/tex] can be written as a differential equation [tex] \nabla \times E + \frac{\partial B}{\partial t} = 0 [/tex]

now i can easily rearrange the left hand side of the integral equation to get [tex] \int_{S_{C}} (\nabla \times E) \bullet dA = - \frac{d}{dt} \int_{S_{C}} B \bullet n dA [/tex]
    now im not allowd to 'cancel' out the dA terms can i ? Or perhaps find the gradient on each side?? Please help on this!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2005 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

First, that first integral should be over the surface SC. Then you can bring the d/dt inside the integral on the right, and argue that since this equality must hold for any region of integration, the integrands must be equal (otherwise, you could focus the integral over the region where they weren't equal and you'd get that the integrals weren't equal).

4. Dec 9, 2005 #3
    crossing out the dA's would not make sense, I hope you realize that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?