Proving Faraday's Law Using Stokes Theorem: A Differential Equation Approach

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam Proof
In summary, Stokes' theorem states that the line integral of the curl of a vector field G over a closed curve C is equal to the surface integral of G over the open surface S bounded by C. Using this theorem, we can prove that the Faraday's law of induction, which states that the line integral of the electric field E over a closed curve C is equal to the negative of the rate of change of the magnetic flux through any surface S bounded by C, can be written as a differential equation. This can be done by rearranging the left side of the integral equation and bringing the derivative inside the integral on the right. It is not possible to cancel out the dA terms in this equation, as that would not make sense
stunner5000pt
stokes theorem says [tex] \int_{S} (\nabla \times G) \bullet dA = \oint_{C} G \bullet ds [/tex] where C is a closed curve bounding the open surface S. Note : dA =n dA, and ds = t ds

use stokes theorem to prove that hte Faraday law of induction [tex] \oint_{C} E \bullet t ds = -\frac{d}{dt} \int_{S_{C}} B \bullet n dA [/tex] can be written as a differential equation [tex] \nabla \times E + \frac{\partial B}{\partial t} = 0 [/tex]

now i can easily rearrange the left hand side of the integral equation to get [tex] \int_{S_{C}} (\nabla \times E) \bullet dA = - \frac{d}{dt} \int_{S_{C}} B \bullet n dA [/tex]
now I am not allowd to 'cancel' out the dA terms can i ? Or perhaps find the gradient on each side?? Please help on this!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, that first integral should be over the surface SC. Then you can bring the d/dt inside the integral on the right, and argue that since this equality must hold for any region of integration, the integrands must be equal (otherwise, you could focus the integral over the region where they weren't equal and you'd get that the integrals weren't equal).

crossing out the dA's would not make sense, I hope you realize that.

1. What is the best way to prepare for my exam tomorrow?

The best way to prepare for your exam is to start studying early and consistently review the material. Make sure to understand key concepts and practice applying them through practice questions or quizzes.

2. How can I ensure I have enough proof for my exam tomorrow?

One way to ensure you have enough proof is to thoroughly review your notes and any provided study materials. Additionally, practicing past exams or problems can help you identify any areas where you may need more proof.

3. How do I know if I have enough proof for my exam tomorrow?

A good way to gauge if you have enough proof is to create a study guide or outline of the material and see if you can confidently explain and apply the concepts. If you are struggling with certain topics, spend more time reviewing and practicing them.

4. What are some tips for presenting proof during an exam?

When presenting proof during an exam, make sure to clearly state your assumptions and reasoning. Show all steps and calculations, and use proper notation and labeling. Double check your work for any errors and make sure your answer makes sense in the context of the question.

5. How can I stay calm and focused during my exam tomorrow?

To stay calm and focused during your exam, make sure to get a good night's sleep and eat a healthy breakfast. Take deep breaths and try to stay positive. If you encounter a difficult question, move on to the next one and come back to it later. Remember to manage your time wisely and don't rush through the exam.