Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof For Psionics

1. Nov 17, 2005 #1
    is there any proof for psionics?

cd

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2005 #2
  4. Nov 17, 2005 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

James Randi is hardly the definitive measure of fact and fiction. I would stick with science.

5. Nov 18, 2005 #4
    I'm just saying that there's a one-million-dollar prize (an excellent incentive), but no-one has claimed it*. Of course scientific papers and such would be a better method, but I don't have links to those.

cd, here's a link to a site that offers information on psychic stuff. They have no real credibility, but if you're looking for hands-on proof, this is probably a good place to go**.

http://www.psipog.net/

I have a few personal experiences that suggest the existence of ESP and one experience that makes it ludicrous for me to disbelieve ESP.

*I read the requirements and it's fully conceivable that they just turn down real psionics.

**I recommend getting a neutral third-party to witness anything you do, once you can (or believe you can) do something psychic. I've practiced some and would say that I've done “something”, but it could very easily be self-delusion.

6. Nov 18, 2005 #5
    yea, i've been to psipog, pretty good site. i have to had some experiences.

cd

7. Nov 18, 2005 #6
    "Psionics"? First time I've ever heard the word. What is it? Ebonics with a paranormal flavor?

8. Nov 18, 2005 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Btw, that was just a personal comment and not spoken as a moderator. I think Randi is given far too much credit. I won't get into this again, but just for starters, as long as he gets to pick and choose who is eligible, right then and there I think that discredits him as an objective source - not to mention the million bucks on the line! :biggrin:

9. Nov 19, 2005 #8

SGT

Do you think Dr. Susan Blackmore and Dr. Richard Wiseman are good enough scientists?

10. Nov 19, 2005 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Who gets to pick the candidates for the test?

I can point to Ph.D's at Amway too.

11. Nov 19, 2005 #10
    What Randi does is expose and deflate frauds on the lines of, say, Uri Geller. None of these people can pass his test and collect his prize money because they're frauds.

Whether or not psychic powers exist there are people out there fostering a belief in it so that they can exploit that belief. I don't think you should be implying there's something not kosher about Randi for his efforts to expose these people.

12. Nov 19, 2005 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, that's not all he does, but that is who he picks for his million dollar prize competition. As far as I'm concerned he is a plague on the spirit of science and discovery. This, because he is an angry man with an agenda.

13. Nov 19, 2005 #12

SGT

Do those Ph.D's research paranormal phenomena? The ones I mentioned, do.

14. Nov 19, 2005 #13
    I wish you could find the E-Mail you sent him that ticked him off. I'd be interested to read it.

15. Nov 19, 2005 #14
    Oh, ok. See, I give people links to the million dollar prize and psipog when they show an interest. Both sides of the issue, I suppose.

16. Nov 20, 2005 #15
    http://www.dprogram.com/twin_telepathy.html

Here is the first article I could find regarding this. It's about an experiment that supposedly can prove "Twin Telepathy".
    Has any one else heard much about this?
    I'll see if I can find more on this in a minute if I can.

17. Nov 20, 2005 #16
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=56884

Actually there's even a thread I already posted in on Telepathy with a link to this article that I had forgotten about. The discussion on it didn't really go any where. Maybe I should start my own thread. :biggrin:

18. Nov 20, 2005 #17
    http://www.tv.com/proof-positive/episode-10/episode/368913/summary.html

Apparently a show on Sci Fi called Proof Positive ran a show on twin telepathy with an experiment. It apparently came out positive with at least one of the four sets of twins used. I haven't been able to find out if they used the same polugraph experiment or not since I am having trouble finding a description of what exactly happened on the show.

19. Nov 21, 2005 #18

SGT

Someone should research why paranormal phenomena work so well in uncontrolled tests and so poorly in controlled ones.

20. Nov 21, 2005 #19
    Someone might want to actually run this as a controled experiment considering that I haven't found any other mentions of it anywhere else except for the three that weren't controled.

21. Aug 24, 2006 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?