1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof for the Hermitian operator

1. Aug 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dataprove the following statement:
    Hello, can someone help me prove this statement

PzXRBBp.jpg

A is hermitian and {|Ψi>} is a full set of functions

2. Relevant equations
    Σ<r|A|s> <s|B|c>

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the right term of the equation reminds of the standard deviation, I tried using its definition but it didn't yield any results. Also, I tried to use the hermicity of the operator A to get the complete set but after that I got stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2016 #2
    This is prety simple if you assume ##\psi_i## form a basis for the Hilbert space of states. Just use the complex relation ##|z|^2=z z^*## for the left hand side, and use the completeness relation for ##\psi_i##. Is this what you meant by a full set of functions?

4. Aug 21, 2016 #3
    Yes, I did, I apologize, English is not my mother language. I tried but I can't get those two terms on the right side

5. Aug 21, 2016 #4
    No problem. The two terms come as a property of the summation. The completeness relation assumes you sum over all ##i##. The first term comes from the completeness relation. The second term comes from the fact that you are missing the ##i=j## in the summation on the left hand side. The key equation you need to use is
    $$
    \langle \psi_j | A^2 | \psi_j \rangle=\sum_i \langle \psi_j | A | \psi_i \rangle \langle \psi_i | A | \psi_j \rangle
    $$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted