Proving an Inequality: A Scientific Approach

In summary: I will try to talk to my Math teacher about this mistake and see what she had in mind.If ##f(x) = \arcsin(x)/(1+x^8)##, the possible case ##\int_{-1}^1 f(x) \, dx## is easy to compute explicity (with almost no work), while the inequality is (trivially) true. The other obvious possibility, ##\int_0^1 f(x) \, dx##, takes more work; the lower bound is easy to verify (again, with essentially no work), while the upper bound is true (as seen numerically), but is not at all obvious anymore. Why don't you see
AlexOliya
Member warned about posting with no effort shown

Homework Statement

iqitd3.jpg

Homework Equations

With the regards to posting such a incomplete equation, I will soon put in the updated one
Thank you

The Attempt at a Solution

visual graph... didn't help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the range of integration?

pasmith said:
What is the range of integration?
Our teacher did not write any range :/

AlexOliya said:

Homework Statement

iqitd3.jpg

Homework Equations

PF Rules require you to make some efforts and to show your work before seeking help (or, more precisely, they do not permit us to help until you have shown your work).

Anyway, the question is incomplete: what are the integration limits?

Note added in edit: I see that the latter question has already been posed to you, but appeared on my screen only after I pressed the 'enter' key.

Ray Vickson said:
PF Rules require you to make some efforts and to show your work before seeking help (or, more precisely, they do not permit us to help until you have shown your work).

Anyway, the question is incomplete: what are the integration limits?
Certainly I didn't tackle the equation without effort but I didn't want to send my rather nonsensical and messy attempts .
I replied the last question you asked above

AlexOliya said:
Certainly I didn't tackle the equation without effort but I didn't want to send my rather nonsensical and messy attempts .
I replied the last question you asked above

If you do not show your "nonsensical and messy" attempts, how are we supposed to know where you are having trouble? We need to see what you have done, wrong or not! (BTW: I edited my previous post, which dealt with your response about integration limits).

Ray Vickson said:
If you do not show your "nonsensical and messy" attempts, how are we supposed to know where you are having trouble? We need to see what you have done, wrong or not! (BTW: I edited my previous post, which dealt with your response about integration limits).
Okay haha!
Well I looked for the first function which turned out a complex function. and I graphed the function using the Algeo app but still didn't help. I tried setting the limits pi fourth to half pi but still is risky
Our teacher suggested a guide tip for using the Mean value theorem... But it doesn't have a range !

How can you even begin to solve this if you don't know the integration limits? This is crucial information

AlexOliya said:
Okay haha!
Well I looked for the first function which turned out a complex function. and I graphed the function using the Algeo app but still didn't help. I tried setting the limits pi fourth to half pi but still is risky
Our teacher suggested a guide tip for using the Mean value theorem... But it doesn't have a range !

Those limits cannot possibly work, as they would involve values of ##x## for which ##\sin^{-1} (x)## is either undefined, or not real. (I am assuming you mean the inverse sine function, rather than the reciprocal ##1/\sin x##.)

micromass said:
How can you even begin to solve this if you don't know the integration limits? This is crucial information
rather should I storm upon the teacher for this crucial mistake?

Ray Vickson said:
Those limits cannot possibly work, as they would involve values of ##x## for which ##\sin^{-1} (x)## is either undefined, or not real. (I am assuming you mean the inverse sine function, rather than the reciprocal ##1/\sin x##.)
definitely I mean the inverse sine function. Well it has come to a conclusion that limits are needed and essential

micromass said:
Yes.
Thanks for all the help

AlexOliya said:
definitely I mean the inverse sine function. Well it has come to a conclusion that limits are needed and essential

If ##f(x) = \arcsin(x)/(1+x^8)##, the possible case ##\int_{-1}^1 f(x) \, dx## is easy to compute explicitly (with almost no work), and the left-hand inequality is FALSE but the right-hand one is (trivially) true. Thus, if the integration limits are -1 and +1, only one of the two inequalities is true.

The other obvious possibility, ##\int_0^1 f(x) \, dx##, takes more work; both bounds are true, as shown by numerical evaluation of the integral. However, proving it "analytically" is a challenge.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
If ##f(x) = \arcsin(x)/(1+x^8)##, the possible case ##\int_{-1}^1 f(x) \, dx## is easy to compute explicity (with almost no work), and the inequality is (trivially) true in that case. The other obvious possibility, ##\int_0^1 f(x) \, dx##, takes more work; the lower bound is easy to verify (again, with essentially no work), while the upper bound is true (as seen numerically), but is not at all obvious anymore. Why don't you see if you can prove ##\int_0^1 f(x) \, dx \leq \frac{\pi}{2} - 1##, without performing a numerical evaluation of the integral?
I did try this today in fact. Tomorrow I will see my Math teacher and definitely will ask why she made this mistake and see what she had in mind!
Thank you for your help dear friend

AlexOliya said:
I did try this today in fact. Tomorrow I will see my Math teacher and definitely will ask why she made this mistake and see what she had in mind!
Thank you for your help dear friend

Please note that I made an error in post #14 (due to a typo). I have edited that post, and you should look at it again.

Ray Vickson said:
Please note that I made an error in post #14 (due to a typo). I have edited that post, and you should look at it again.
I come updated.
The limits are 0 to positive 1

AlexOliya said:

Homework Statement

iqitd3.jpg

Homework Equations

The integration limit is 0 to +1

For the upper bound, compare to ##\displaystyle \ \int_0^1 {\sin^{-1\,}\!(x)}\ dx \ ##.

SammyS said:
For the upper bound, compare to ##\displaystyle \ \int_0^1 {\sin^{-1\,}\!(x)}\ dx \ ##.

Works for the lower bound as well.

Ray Vickson said:
Works for the lower bound as well.
Many Many thanks! Helped alot!

What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares the relative sizes of two values. It is represented by symbols such as <, >, ≤, and ≥. Unlike equations, inequalities do not have a single solution, but rather a range of possible solutions.

Why is proof important in inequalities?

Proof is important in inequalities because it provides a logical and mathematical justification for the inequality statement. It allows us to confirm that the inequality is true and to understand why it holds for certain values. Proof also helps us to generalize the inequality to apply to a wider range of values.

What is a common approach to proving inequalities?

A common approach to proving inequalities is to manipulate the inequality statement algebraically. This involves transforming the inequality into an equivalent statement using basic algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. By applying these operations, we can often simplify the inequality and make it easier to prove.

Can we use graphs to prove inequalities?

Yes, we can use graphs to prove inequalities. Graphs provide a visual representation of the inequality and can help us to understand the relationship between the values involved. By plotting the values on a number line or coordinate plane, we can see if the inequality holds for all values or if there are any exceptions.

What are some common strategies for solving inequalities?

Some common strategies for solving inequalities include isolating the variable, using the properties of inequality, and solving for specific values. It is also helpful to consider the given values and their relationship to each other. In addition, we can use algebraic techniques such as factoring and substitution to help solve more complex inequalities.