1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof help?

1. Dec 30, 2014 #1
    I recently came across a problem that said 'prove that the difference of x^3+y and y^3+x is a always a multiple of 6, given that x and y are integers'. I tried it, but I'm not sure if this is a valid proof. ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1419985517.717480.jpg this is with the first triangular number being 0 and Tsubn being the nth triangular number.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you can use or prove the formula for the triangular numbers, sure.

4. Dec 30, 2014 #3

Mark44

Or you can do this:
    x3 + y - (y3 + x) = x3 - x - (y3 - y)
    = x(x2 - 1) - y(y2 - 1)
    = x(x - 1)(x + 1) - y(y - 1)(y+ 1)

In a more suggestive form, the last expression is
    (x - 1)(x)(x + 1) - (y - 1)(y)(y + 1), with each group being the product of three successive integers.

It's not too hard to show that the product of three integers in succession is divisible by 6 (can do this by induction), so the difference of two such products is also divisible by 6.

5. Dec 30, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Or splitting it into 5 to 6 cases.
    That is the more elementary approach if the triangle formula is not available.

6. Dec 30, 2014 #5
    No need to consider different cases . Given 3 consecutive integers, exactly one is a multiple of 3 and at least one is even. Therefore the product is divisible by both 2 and 3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook