1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof help

1. Oct 2, 2005 #1
    Prove if a ring has a unity, then it is unique:

Here is what I have so far:
    Proof: Assume there exists a ring R that contains two distinct unity's, call a and b, where a != b. By the definition of a unity, we get ax = xa = x and bx = xb = x for all x != 0 in R. So, ax = xa = bx = xb = x. If the ring is an integral domain, we get a = b because there are no zero divisors.

Problem occurs for the case of an integral domain. Thanks for help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2005 #2
    This might be not work, since I don't remember all the definitions off-hand... But if a and b are both unities in some ring R, then ab = a and ab = b. Hence a = b.

4. Oct 2, 2005 #3
    I believe that's what we are trying to prove. If a and b are both unity's in a ring, then a = b.

5. Oct 2, 2005 #4
    Apparently my deduction wasn't explicit enough, or you looked past one of the sentences in my post.

Since a was a unity in R, ax = x for all x in R. In particular, it must hold if we set x = b. Hence ab = b.

But b was also a unity in R, so that xb = x for all x in R. In particular, it must hold if we set x = a, so that ab = a.

So we have proved that ab = a and ab = b. By transitivity, we must have that a = b.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  6. Oct 2, 2005 #5
    Your right. I didn't even read the sentence ab = a and ab = b. My bad, sorry for the confusion and tanks very much for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?