Troubleshooting My Inverse Trig Proof

In summary: So the two sides are not equal.In summary, the conversation discusses an error in a proof involving inverse trigonometric functions. It is pointed out that an incorrect identity was used, and a suggestion is made to test the argument with a specific value.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
What is wrong with my proof?

Let [tex]\theta=cos^{-1}x-\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

Then [tex]cos\theta=cos\left(cos^{-1}x-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)[/tex]

[tex]RHS=xcos\frac{\pi}{2}-sin(cos^{-1}x)sin\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

[tex]=-\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]

Therefore [tex]\theta=cos^{-1}(-\sqrt{1-x^2})[/tex]

[tex]\theta=\pi-cos^{-1}\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]

Hence [tex]cos^{-1}x-\frac{\pi}{2}=\pi-cos^{-1}\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]

So finally, [tex]cos^{-1}x+cos^{-1}\sqrt{1-x^2}=\frac{3\pi}{2}[/tex]

Except this is untrue for all values except [itex]x=-1[/itex]. I'm guessing I probably made a substitution which is valid for only certain values. Inverse trig seems to do that a lot to me :cry:

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mentallic said:
Let [tex]\theta=cos^{-1}x-\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

Then [tex]cos\theta=cos\left(cos^{-1}x-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)[/tex]

[tex]RHS=xcos\frac{\pi}{2}-sin(cos^{-1}x)sin\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

The last line here is wrong. The appropriate identity states:
[tex]\cos(\alpha-\beta) = \cos\alpha\,\cos\beta + \sin \alpha\,\sin\beta[/tex]
So you should have gotten:
[tex]RHS=xcos\frac{\pi}{2}+sin(cos^{-1}x)sin\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
In the future a good way to identify an error in an argument about trigonometric identities is to simply plug in a number. Preferably one whose value you can calculate under the functions you are working with and which doesn't have very nice symmetric properties since that is usually where errors creep in. For instance in your case I would have tested with x=1/2 which would have yielded:
[tex]\theta = \cos^{-1}1/2 - \pi/2 = -\pi/6[/tex]
[tex]\cos\theta = \sqrt{3}\pi/2[/tex]
[tex](1/2)\cos\pi/2 - \sin(\cos^{-1}(1/2))\sin\pi/2 = - \sin(\pi/3) = -\sqrt{3}\pi/2[/tex]

1. How do I know if my inverse trig proof is correct?

The best way to check the correctness of your inverse trig proof is to go through each step and make sure it follows the rules of trigonometry. Additionally, you can plug in values for the variables and see if the equations still hold true.

2. I keep getting stuck while trying to prove an inverse trig identity. What should I do?

If you get stuck while trying to prove an inverse trig identity, take a step back and try to approach the problem from a different angle. Some identities may require the use of trigonometric identities or algebraic manipulation to simplify the equation.

3. Can I use a calculator to verify my inverse trig proof?

While a calculator may be helpful in checking your work, it is not a reliable source for verifying the correctness of your inverse trig proof. It is best to rely on the rules of trigonometry and your own calculations to ensure accuracy.

4. Is it necessary to memorize all inverse trig identities for troubleshooting my proof?

While it is helpful to have a general understanding of inverse trig identities, it is not necessary to memorize all of them. It is more important to understand the basic principles and rules of trigonometry, which can then be applied to any inverse trig proof.

5. What are some common mistakes to watch out for when troubleshooting my inverse trig proof?

Some common mistakes to watch out for when troubleshooting your inverse trig proof include incorrect use of trigonometric functions, forgetting to consider the domain and range of the inverse trig functions, and making algebraic errors such as dropping a negative sign or forgetting to distribute terms.