Deriving Magnetic Field Magnitude using Ampere's Law

In summary, the conversation discusses Ampere's Law and how it can be used to determine the magnitude of the magnetic field at a distance r from the center of a wire. By taking C to be a circle with radius r, it is shown that the magnitude of B is equal to (mu_0)/(2 pi) multiplied by the current I, divided by the distance r. The person asking the question is unsure of how to compute the integral but is prompted to consider what they know about the magnitude of the B-field at a distance r.
alanthreonus

Homework Statement

Ampere's Law states [tex]
\int _C \vec{B} \cdot \vec{dr} = \mu_0 \ I
[/tex] .

By taking C to be a circle with radius r, show that the magnitude B = |B| of the magnetic field at a distance r from the center of the wire is [tex]
B = \frac{\mu_0}{2 \pi} \ \frac{I}{r}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to start. I don't know what the components of B are, so I don't know how I'm supposed to compute this integral.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about the B-field at a distace r from the wire, magnitude-wise? How can you use this knowledge in computing the integral?

1. What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a principle in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire to the current passing through the wire. It states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the product of the current passing through the loop and a constant called the permeability of free space.

2. How is Ampere's Law used in proofs?

Ampere's Law is often used in proofs to determine the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire or a group of wires. It allows us to calculate the magnetic field at a specific point in space by using the known current passing through a closed loop around that point. This makes it a useful tool in solving problems in electromagnetism.

3. What are the key assumptions in using Ampere's Law in proofs?

The key assumptions in using Ampere's Law are that the current is steady (constant in time), the magnetic field is constant in space, and the closed loop used in the calculation is chosen such that the magnetic field is parallel to the loop at all points. These assumptions allow us to simplify the calculation and use the formula for Ampere's Law.

4. Are there any limitations to using Ampere's Law in proofs?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Ampere's Law in proofs. It is only applicable to steady currents, so it cannot be used to calculate the magnetic field for non-steady currents. Additionally, it assumes that the magnetic field is constant in space and that the closed loop used in the calculation is chosen properly. If these assumptions are not met, the results may not be accurate.

5. Can Ampere's Law be used in all scenarios involving electromagnetism?

No, Ampere's Law cannot be used in all scenarios involving electromagnetism. It is only applicable to situations where the magnetic field is produced by steady currents. In cases where the magnetic field is produced by changing electric fields, other principles such as Faraday's Law or Maxwell's equations must be used in conjunction with Ampere's Law.