How can we prove that f'(0) = 0 if the series converges

In summary, the problem is asking to prove that if f'(0) exists and converges, then it must equal to 0. This is connected to the earlier proof that if the series converges, then f(0)=0. Using l'Hopital's rule, we can show that for large n, f'(0)/n is approximately equal to f(1/n). Since f(1/n) is approximated to be 0, we can conclude that f'(0) must approach 0 for large n. This ties in with the fact that the series c/n does not converge if c is not zero, thus proving that f'(0) must equal to 0.
ptolema

Homework Statement

let f be a continuous function on an interval around 0, and let an=f(1/n) (for large enough n)
prove that if f'(0) exists and
conv-1.jpg
converges, then f'(0)=0

Homework Equations

proved earlier in the problem that if the series converges, then f(0)=0.

The Attempt at a Solution

for this part of the problem, i found that
lhop.jpg
by l'Hopital, so f' is continuous at 0. how can i then draw the conclusion that f'(0)=0? i know that the series should tie in somehow, but I'm getting stuck on making the connection.

Physics news on Phys.org
Call c=f'(0). Then you know c=lim n->inf f(1/n)/(1/n). So for large n, f(1/n) is 'like' c/n. Does the series c/n converge?

ok, so i just did the work to get to that part. so for large n, f'(0)/n is approx f(1/n), and f(1/n) is approx 0. since f'(0)/n is "like" 0, f'(0) approaches 0 for large n. is that something like what you were saying?

ptolema said:
ok, so i just did the work to get to that part. so for large n, f'(0)/n is approx f(1/n), and f(1/n) is approx 0. since f'(0)/n is "like" 0, f'(0) approaches 0 for large n. is that something like what you were saying?

Not at all! f'(0)/n may approach zero for large n, but that's because n->infinity! It doesn't say anything at all about f'(0). The hint I'm trying to give you is that the series c/n does not converge if c is not zero.

1. What is convergence in mathematical proof?

Convergence in mathematical proof is a concept that refers to the behavior of a sequence or series as its terms approach a specific value or limit. In other words, convergence occurs when a sequence or series "converges" towards a single value or becomes infinitely large.

2. How is convergence proven in mathematical proofs?

The most common method used to prove convergence in mathematical proofs is the epsilon-delta method. This method involves showing that for any arbitrarily small positive number (epsilon), there exists a corresponding positive number (delta) such that the terms of the sequence or series are within a certain distance (delta) from the limit.

3. Can a sequence or series be convergent without having a finite limit?

Yes, a sequence or series can be convergent without having a finite limit. In these cases, the sequence or series may converge towards infinity or negative infinity.

4. What is the difference between absolute convergence and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to the convergence of a series where the absolute value of each term in the series is used. On the other hand, conditional convergence refers to the convergence of a series where the alternating signs of the terms are taken into consideration. In other words, conditional convergence can occur when the sum of the absolute values of the terms is convergent, but the series itself is not.

5. Are there any other methods for proving convergence besides the epsilon-delta method?

Yes, there are other methods for proving convergence, such as the ratio test, root test, and comparison test. These methods involve comparing the given sequence or series to a known sequence or series with known convergence properties.