1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof involving sets. NEED HELP

1. Feb 26, 2009 #1
    Proof involving sets. NEED HELP!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove directly "If A U B = A, then B is a subset of A." and also provide a proof by contrapositive of its converse.

2. The attempt at a solution

Here is what i did, but I don't know if it is right or not,

Direct Proof: Assume A U B = A, then x ∈ (A U B) and x ∈ A. So it follows that B ∈ A = B is a subset of A.
    Contrapositive of Converse Proof: Assume that A U B ≠ A, then x ∈ (A U B) and x ∉ A. Then, B ∉ A and so B is not a subset of A.

I don't think this is right. Could someone help me out please??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2009 #2

J$C

Re: Proof involving sets. NEED HELP!!!

Direct Proof: Assume A U B=A as you have. Then to show a set B is a subset of a set A the standard technique is to let x be in B, then show it is also in A. Notice if x is in B then it is clearly also in A U B and the conclusion follows from your initial assumption.

Converse: If B is a subset of A then A U B=A
    Contrapositive of Converse: If A U B /neq A then B is not a subset of A

Notice A U B /neq A but A is clearly a subset of A U B. So what's left to make that not equals is A U B is not a subset of A. That gives that there's an element in A U B that is not in A. Go from there.

4. Feb 27, 2009 #3

How about now...

Directly -
    Assume A U B = A, then x ∈ B. Then x ∈ (A U B), and since A U B = A, x ∈ A. So B is a subset of A.

Contrapositive of Converse -
    Assume that A U B ≠ A. Since A is a subset of A U B, there must be an x ∈ (A U B), such that x ∉ A, since A U B ≠ A. This means that there is a y ∈ B, such that y ∉ A. So B is not a subset of A.

Is that a complete proof??

5. Feb 27, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

in contrapositive of converse

though its implied, I think you should change it to A is a proper subset of AUB

6. Feb 27, 2009 #5

Allright. Thanks!! =D

7. Feb 27, 2009 #6

J$C

Looks good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook