Can the logarithm of a prime number be rational?

So, in summary, to prove that \log_{2} 7 is irrational, you can assume that it is rational and show that this leads to a contradiction by using the uniqueness of prime factorization. This approach can also be used for other bases, by invoking the prime factorization theorem at the final step.
mattmns
I am to prove that [tex]\log_{2} 7[/tex] is irrational. So I started by saying that what if [tex]\log_{2} 7[/tex] is rational. Then it must be in the form of [tex]\frac{m}{n}[/tex] where m and n are integers. So now [tex]\log_2 7 = \frac{m}{n}[/tex] So I took the 2^ up of each and now [tex]7 = 2^{\frac{m}{n}}[/tex] Then [tex]7 = \sqrt[n]{2^m}[/tex] But now I seem to be lost. Do I now try to prove that [tex]\sqrt[n]{2^m}[/tex] is irrational, or what do I need to do. Any ideas? Maybe proove that [tex]2^{\frac{m}{n}} \neq 7[/tex] by 2^{anything rational} must be something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mattmns said:
Do I now try to prove that [tex]\sqrt[n]{2^m}[/tex] is irrational
You just need to prove it's not 7.

How about:

[tex]7 = 2^{\frac{m}{n}}[/tex]

So, [tex]7^n = 2^m[/tex]

which is a contradiction because, [tex]7^n[/tex] is always odd while [tex]2^m[/tex] is always even, for n and m as integers and [tex]n \neq 0[/tex]

mattmns said:
How about:

[tex]7 = 2^{\frac{m}{n}}[/tex]

So, [tex]7^n = 2^m[/tex]

which is a contradiction because, [tex]7^n[/tex] is always odd while [tex]2^m[/tex] is always even, for n and m as integers and [tex]n \neq 0[/tex]

In this case, that approach is fine. But it wouldn't work, for example if the question asks you about base 3 logs. In that instance, use the uniqueness of prime factorisation.

More generally, if you wanted to prove it for a different base (e.g. 3) you could simply invoke the prime factorization theorem at that last step.

1. What is the definition of irrational number?

An irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. In other words, an irrational number cannot be written as a fraction.

2. How do you prove that log(x) is irrational?

The proof of log(x) being irrational is a mathematical proof that involves using the properties of logarithms and the definition of irrational numbers. It is a complex proof that requires a solid understanding of mathematical concepts.

3. Why is it important to prove that log(x) is irrational?

Proving that log(x) is irrational is important because it helps us better understand the properties of logarithms and irrational numbers. It also has applications in various fields such as number theory, cryptography, and computer science.

4. Can you provide an example of an irrational number?

One example of an irrational number is pi (π) which is approximately equal to 3.14159... It cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers and has an infinite number of non-repeating decimal digits.

5. Are there any other ways to prove that log(x) is irrational?

Yes, there are several different proofs that exist to show that log(x) is irrational. Some involve using calculus and other advanced mathematical techniques, while others use simpler methods such as proof by contradiction.