How can the inequality cosx ≥ (1-x^2/2) be proven?

In summary: The argument needs cleaned up a little bit but it is a key insight.what remains is to consider the case of ##x \in [-2,2]## which was what I was pushing you to focus on in post 7.Okay. Thank you.
mech-eng
Homework Statement
Proof of the inequality ##cosx \ge (1-x^2/2##
Relevant Equations
##1\ge cosx \ge 0##
How can the inequality ##cosx \ge(1-x^2/2)## be proved? Would you please explain how to prove this inequality?

This is the only equation that I could think of. ##1\ge cosx \ge 0## but I cannot use it here.

Source: Thomas's Calculus, this is from an integration question there.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
mech-eng said:
How can the inequality ##cosx \ge(1-x^2/2)## be proved? Would you please explain how to prove this inequality?

This is the only equation that I could think of. ##1\ge cosx \ge 0## but I cannot use it here.

Thank you.
PF rules require an effort on your part.

I know it intuitively but I cannot establish a good way. I cannot express it in a good form. For less than -2, ##1-x^2/2## is less than -1 so this is valid. For more than 2, ##1-x^2/2## is less than -1 this is also valid. Between -1 and 1, ##1-x^2/2## is between 1/2 and 1 and the equation is also valid.

Thank you.

Since the question is in a section about integration, one approach would be to look at the graph of ##y = \cos(x) - 1 + \frac {x^2} 2##, and see if the integral of this function is positive or negative.

Mark44 said:
Since the question is in a section about integration, one approach would be to look at the graph of ##y = \cos(x) - 1 + \frac {x^2} 2##, and see if the integral of this function is positive or negative.
What does the integral have to do with whether or not the function itself is positive, which is what is relevant to this question?

Orodruin said:
What does the integral have to do with whether or not the function itself is positive, which is what is relevant to this question?
If the integral is positive on some interval where cos(x) and 1 - x^2/2 don't intersect, it means that cos(x) >= 1 - x^2/2. That was my thinking. The OP mentioned that the problem was in a section on integration, which I presume comes in a section before Taylor's series are covered.

mech-eng said:

Thank you.

I see the ingredients of a solution sitting here though we are guessing a bit since we don't know the background... I assume 1st and 2nd derivatives are ok at this point.

I found "##1\ge \cos x \ge 0##" interesting because when I set ##x := \pi##

I get something that violates this. You are right that the magnitude of cosine of x is bounded in 0 and 1.

mech-eng said:
or less than -2, ##1-x^2/2## is less than -1 so this is valid. For more than 2, ##1-x^2/2## is less than -1 this is also valid.

Yes -- so why not use this fact to truncate your domain to ##x \in [-2,2]##.

Note this interval is closed and bounded (compact in reals) and thus any continuous function has a minimum in this interval. So check for values of the function ##g(x)## the border at ##x=-2## and ##x=2## and also use 1st (and 2nd) derivatives to find the minimum value of the function ##g##... I'd suggest using the one that Mark gave, i.e.
##g(x) = \cos(x) - 1 + \frac {x^2} 2## again for ##x \in [-2,2]##

Likes mech-eng
StoneTemplePython said:
Yes -- so why not use this fact to truncate your domain to x∈[−2,2]x∈[−2,2]x \in [-2,2]

Yes, for the domain [-2,2] this is valid but in the original question it is said that this is valid for all real number which means the domain is [##-\infty, \infty##]. So this is confusing.

use the inequality.png

mech-eng said:
Yes, for the domain [-2,2] this is valid but in the original question it is said that this is valid for all real number which means the domain is [##-\infty, \infty##]. So this is confusing.

View attachment 241883

ok, let's be clear -- the original domain is ##(-\infty, \infty)## that's an open interval that doesn't actually include +/- ##\infty##

Second, let's partition that into 3 pieces -- i.e.

##(-\infty, \infty) = (-\infty, -2) \cup [-2, 2] \cup (2, \infty)##

so we have 3 different pieces to consider:
##\{(-\infty, -2) , [-2, 2], (2, \infty)\} ##

for ##(-\infty, -2)## and for ## (2, \infty)##

apply this argument

mech-eng said:
For less than -2, ##1-x^2/2## is less than -1 so this is valid. For more than 2, ##1-x^2/2## is less than -1 this is also valid.

The argument needs cleaned up a little bit but it is a key insight.

what remains is to consider the case of ##x \in [-2,2]## which was what I was pushing you to focus on in post 7.

• Informative
Likes mech-eng
Okay. Thank you. I got it. For all x beyond the interval [-2,2] ##1-x^2/2## is less than -1 which is also less than the minumum of cos x for all x.

1. What is the proof of the cosine inequality?

The proof of the cosine inequality is a mathematical demonstration that shows the relationship between the cosine function and the sides of a triangle. It states that in any triangle, the length of one side is always less than the sum of the lengths of the other two sides multiplied by the cosine of the opposite angle.

2. Why is the cosine inequality important?

The cosine inequality is important because it is a fundamental property of triangles that is used in various branches of mathematics, including geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics.

3. How is the cosine inequality derived?

The cosine inequality can be derived using the Law of Cosines, which relates the sides and angles of a triangle. By manipulating the equation, we can arrive at the inequality that states that one side is always less than the sum of the other two sides multiplied by the cosine of the opposite angle.

4. Can the cosine inequality be applied to all triangles?

Yes, the cosine inequality can be applied to all triangles, regardless of their shape or size. It is a universal property that holds true for all triangles, making it a powerful tool in mathematical and scientific calculations.

5. Are there any real-world examples of the cosine inequality?

Yes, the cosine inequality can be applied to real-world scenarios, such as calculating the distance between two points on a map or determining the force needed to support a bridge. It is also used in navigation and astronomy to calculate distances and angles between celestial objects.