Prove Limit Rule: Learn the Constant Concept

• B
  • Thread starter shihab-kol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Proof
In summary, the conversation is about proving that the limit of a constant function is equal to the constant itself. The participants discuss using the definition of a limit to prove this and provide a link to helpful notes. They also mention the importance of searching for information before asking for help.
shihab-kol
Hello, I would like to begin by saying that this does not fall into any homework or course work for me. It is just my interest.
I need to prove that limit of a constant gives the constant it self. Can some one provide a link? I have exams or I would have searched myself but unfortunately I don't have time. So, I had to post this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
shihab-kol said:
Hello, I would like to begin by saying that this does not fall into any homework or course work for me. It is just my interest.
This is one of the easiest of limits to prove, using the definition of a limit to prove it. If f(x) = k, a constant, can you show that ##|f(x) - f(a)| < \epsilon## when ##|x - a| < \delta##?

Mark44 said:
This is one of the easiest of limits to prove, using the definition of a limit to prove it. If f(x) = k, a constant, can you show that ##|f(x) - f(a)| < \epsilon## when ##|x - a| < \delta##?
If I take f(a) =k for some interval around x , then |f(x) - f(a)| =0 <E since by definition E >0.
But will this work?

Likes Delta2
shihab-kol said:
If I take f(a) =k for some interval around x , then |f(x) - f(a)| =0 <E since by definition E >0.
But will this work?
It will work, but you need to say more.
Someone gives you a value of ##\epsilon > 0##. Can you specify a number ##\delta > 0## so that when ##|x - a| < \delta##, then ##|f(x) - f(a)| < \epsilon##?

Likes Delta2

1. What is the Constant Concept in limits?

The Constant Concept in limits states that the limit of a constant function is equal to the value of the constant. In other words, as x approaches any value, the function will always approach the same value.

2. How do you prove the Constant Concept in limits?

To prove the Constant Concept in limits, we use the definition of a limit. We show that for any value of epsilon (ε), we can find a corresponding value of delta (δ) such that the absolute value of the difference between the function and the constant is less than epsilon for all x values within a distance of delta from the limit point.

3. Why is the Constant Concept important in limits?

The Constant Concept is important in limits because it allows us to simplify the evaluation of limits for constant functions. Instead of using the formal definition of a limit, we can simply substitute the value of the constant into the limit expression.

4. Can the Constant Concept be extended to other types of functions?

Yes, the Constant Concept can be extended to other types of functions, such as polynomials and trigonometric functions. As long as the function approaches a constant value as x approaches a certain value, the Constant Concept can be applied.

5. Does the Constant Concept apply to one-sided limits?

Yes, the Constant Concept applies to one-sided limits as well. If the left and right hand limits approach the same constant value, then the overall limit exists and is equal to that constant value. This is known as the Squeeze Theorem.