1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of a limit

1. Oct 29, 2007 #1
    can somebody explain to me how to prove this:

the limit, as h approaches 0, of ((e^h)-1)/h equals 1.

sorry about the typing, idk how else to get it on here...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2
    Do you want a real proof? Or just how you get the answer?

use L'h rule you get e^h/1 take the limit and you get 1

but as for a formal proof, i'm to tired to think lol.

4. Oct 29, 2007 #3
    L'hopitals rule is not a way to do this because to do that one usually has to know the derivative of e^x, but this limit is, itself, needed in order to figure out this derivative. So for a better proof try using the definition of e, this is not particularly hard if you use the definition of e as the limit (1+h)^(1/h) as h approaches zero.

5. Oct 29, 2007 #4
    can u explain it a lil further? what do you mean by the definition of e?

6. Oct 29, 2007 #5
    Can you explain it to me? What do you mean when you use e? It is obviously a number, but usually it is defined in some way when one is first introduced to it, in your course or textbook or whatever how is it defined?

7. Oct 29, 2007 #6
    I think he wants you to look at it this way: [tex]e^h=\sum_{j=0}^\infty\frac{h^j}{j!}=1+h+\frac{h^2}{2!} ++++[/tex] Now plug that into your original equation.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  8. Oct 29, 2007 #7
    Actually I was aiming for e= the limit as n approaches infinity of [1+(1/n))]^n which is equivalent to the limit as h approaches 0 of (1+h)^(1/h)

9. Oct 30, 2007 #8
    Well, regardless, if you can make that work out to something like: 1+1+(1-h)/2! +(1-h)(1-2h)/3!+++ all you arrive at as h goes to zero is the value for e, not the value for e^h.

Now when I took the calculus, I believe e^x was defined as [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} (1+x/n)^n [/tex]

10. Oct 30, 2007 #9
    All you need is the value of e though.

11. Oct 30, 2007 #10
    You mean [tex]\frac{[(1+h)^{1/h}]^h-1}{h}[/tex]?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  12. Oct 30, 2007 #11
    Exactly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?