1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of (a^n)^m=a^(nm)

1. Jun 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove (a[itex]^{n}[/itex])[itex]^{m}[/itex]=a[itex]^{nm}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Proof by induction
    a[itex]^{n}[/itex]*a=a[itex]^{n+1}[/itex]
    a[itex]^{n}[/itex]*a[itex]^{m}[/itex]=a[itex]^{nm}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Let a and n be fixed. I will induct on m.

Suppose m=1. Then a[itex]^{(n)(m)}[/itex]=a[itex]^{n(1)}[/itex]=(a[itex]^{n}[/itex])[itex]^{1}[/itex]

Now assume the hypothesis is true for any integer m in P. I will show this is true for m+1.

a[itex]^{n(m+1)}[/itex]=(a[itex]^{n}[/itex])[itex]^{m+1}[/itex]

Thus the hypothesis is true for m+1.

Is this proof sufficient? I am once again struck by a problem that seems almost too simple to be proved.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your two equations in section 2 of your post seem fairly irrelevant to the problem at hand.

Your inductive step seems to have zero content. Why is
    [tex] a^{n(m+1)} = \left( a^{n} \right)^{m+1}[/tex]
    true at all? The whole point is you're supposed to prove that using your inductive hypothesis. You need to use the fact that [tex] a^{nm} = \left(a^n\right)^m [/tex]
    at some point

4. Jun 17, 2013 #3
    Your induction will still only prove that the relationship is true for integer m and n if you succeed. Clearly the relationship is more general than that.

5. Jun 17, 2013 #4
    an(m+1)=an*(m+1)=(by the theorem) (an)(m+1)

How else could I move from the left side of the equality to the right? If someone could give me a little direction I would love to solve it myself.

6. Jun 17, 2013 #5
    Luckily I only need to prove it for integers right now. I don't think I could handle anything more atm.

7. Jun 17, 2013 #6
    You need to show explicitly that the proposition is true for m+1 making use of the assumption that the proposition holds true for m, which you are clearly lacking here.
    Start with [itex](a^{n})^{(m+1)}[/itex], rearrange / rewrite it until you manage to obtain a term [itex](a^{n})^{m}[/itex] somewhere. Then you can replace that term with [itex]a^{nm}[/itex]

8. Jun 17, 2013 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fightfish gives a good suggestion... alternatively from an*(m+1) do literally the only algebra you are allowed to do and re-write it as anm+n

9. Jun 17, 2013 #8
    Here's the proof for m=1

(an)m=(an)1=(By the definition)an

Now for m+1
    Because xn+m=xn*xm

Let x=(an)

(x)(m+1)=(x)m*(x)1 and by the hypothesis and the case m=1 I have already proved and replacing x with (an)
    (x)m*(x)1=(an)m*(an)1=anm*an=anm+n=an(m+1)

I'm pretty sure this proves it!? IM SO EXCITED THIS IS AWESOME HAHA!

10. Jun 17, 2013 #9

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah that looks good to me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted