Proving ab|c: The Proof for (a,b)=1

• Thread starter chaotixmonjuish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses proving the proposition that if a and b are relatively prime, then their product ab divides c. The proof involves using the fact that (a,b)=1 and manipulating equations to show that ab|c. The conversation also touches on the importance of detailed explanations in textbooks and the individual's self-study of abstract algebra.
chaotixmonjuish
If a|c and b|c with (a,b)=1, prove ab|c

The book just states that ab|c if (a,b)=1...so I took a stab on proving it:

(a,b)=1 means au+bv=1

so for no reason at all I threw in a c

acu+bcv=c

since a|c and b|c c=ak and c= bh

abhu+bakv=c

this means ab(hu+kv)=c

hence ab|c
It this proof right...the book kind of skips proving this proposition.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that's RIGHT!

Great! The book simply told me that the proposition is possible only because of the GCD...and the lack of a proof bothered me.

I agree with you, books should be more detailed!
By the way "congratulations!" since you proved very good in finding the proof by yourself!
Are you studing Algebra alone by yourself? Or are you attending university?

I'm actually taking an Intro to Abstract type course and I'm just aggressively nuturing my curiosity by borrowing abstract algebra books from the library and working stuff out.

1. What is "Proving ab|c: A Proof"?

"Proving ab|c: A Proof" is a mathematical proof technique used to demonstrate that a statement or equation is true. It involves breaking down a complex problem into smaller, simpler steps and using logical reasoning to show that each step leads to the desired conclusion.

2. Why is "Proving ab|c: A Proof" important in science?

Proving ab|c: A Proof is important in science because it allows scientists to provide evidence for their hypotheses and theories. By proving a statement or equation, scientists can confidently make claims about the natural world and support their findings with solid reasoning.

3. How is "Proving ab|c: A Proof" different from other proof techniques?

Unlike other proof techniques, such as direct proof or proof by contradiction, "Proving ab|c: A Proof" involves breaking down a problem into smaller steps and using logical reasoning to show how each step leads to the desired conclusion. This can be a more systematic and comprehensive approach to proving a statement or equation.

4. What are the benefits of using "Proving ab|c: A Proof" in scientific research?

Using "Proving ab|c: A Proof" in scientific research can provide a rigorous and logical approach to proving statements and equations. This can help to eliminate errors and biases, and provide a solid foundation for scientific claims and theories.

5. Are there any limitations to using "Proving ab|c: A Proof" in scientific research?

While "Proving ab|c: A Proof" can be a useful tool in scientific research, it may not always be applicable or appropriate for every situation. Some problems may be too complex to be broken down into smaller steps, and some may require other proof techniques. Additionally, "Proving ab|c: A Proof" relies on logical reasoning, which can be limited by human subjectivity and biases.