Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Proof of an inequality

1. May 29, 2017 #1

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm pretty sure that the following is true, but I don't see an immediate compelling proof, so I'm going to throw it out as a challenge:

Let [itex]A,A', B, B'[/itex] be four real numbers, each in the range [itex][0,1][/itex]. Show that:

[itex]AB + AB' + A'B \leq A' B' + A + B[/itex]

(or show a counter-example, if it's not true)

This inequality was inspired by Bell's Theorem, but that's not relevant to proving or disproving it.

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Consider the region ##A+A' \leq 1## first.
    For B=0, the inequality simplifies to ##AB' \leq A'B'+A## which is true.
    The derivatives with respect to B are ##A+A'## and ##1##, respectively, which means the derivative for the left hand side is smaller or equal. For the chosen region this means the inequality stays true for all B.

Now consider the region ##A+A' > 1##.
    For B=1, the inequality simplifies to ##AB'+A' \leq A'B'+1##. As ##B'+A' \leq A'B'+1##, this inequality is satisfied.
    The derivatives with respect to B are ##A+A'## and ##1##, respectively, for the chosen region the derivative on the left hand side is larger, but now we are going backwards with B. For the chosen region this means the inequality stays true for all B.

For ##A=1-A'##, the inequality can be written as ##AB+AB'+(1-A)B \leq (1-A)B'+A+B## which simplifies to ##2AB' \leq B'+A##, that inequality does not depend on B and it is true with enough margin to make the derivatives work on both sides.

4. May 29, 2017 #3

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Thanks! That's a little more elegant than the only way I found to prove it, which was to do an exhaustive case split.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted