Are There Nonzero Polynomial Associates in Zp[x]?

• Thread starter chaotixmonjuish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, a nonzero polynomial in Zp[x] cannot have p-1 associates because in order for a polynomial to have p-1 associates, all the coefficients would have to be multiplied by p, resulting in a polynomial with all zeroes. This is not possible in Zp[x] as there is no zero associate. Therefore, the statement is false.
chaotixmonjuish
Show that a nonzero polynomial in Zp[x] has p-1 associates.

I don't have a proof as much as a fairly weak (in my opinion) arguement.

Suppose you had a series of functions with coefficients p. If the coeffients are p in Zp[x], all those functions go to zero. In this case you just have a bunch of zeroes, which can't happen since there is no zero associate in Zp[x]. I think I may have butchered this proof as we just went over associates and I'm not sure how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with the term; what's an "associate"?

An associate is a nonzero constant that a polynomial is multiplied by

e.q 2x+2 is 2(x+1)...2 is the associate

chaotixmonjuish said:
An associate is a nonzero constant that a polynomial is multiplied by

e.q 2x+2 is 2(x+1)...2 is the associate
Er... so "an associate of a polynomial" is simply "the leading coefficient of that polynomial"? But any polynomial would have only one associate then.

An associate is a nonzero constant multiple of a polynomial.

chaotixmonjuish said:
An associate is a nonzero constant multiple of a polynomial.
Ah, okay. Well... since each associate is determined by a "nonzero constant", we can simply count those, can't we? Well, we do have to make sure that the same associate isn't counted multiple times by this method. (Or make a correction if that does happen)

So here is what I got:

Suppose yyou have a polynomial x^n...+x+c such that p is an associate:

p*(x^n+...+x+c) => px^n+...+p*x+p*c => 0+...0+0

This contradicts the statement.

What is "Proof of associates in Zp[x]"?

"Proof of associates in Zp[x]" is a mathematical concept used to determine whether two polynomials in the ring Zp[x] are associates. Two polynomials are said to be associates if they differ only by a constant factor.

Why is "Proof of associates in Zp[x]" important?

"Proof of associates in Zp[x]" is important because it helps us understand the structure and properties of polynomials in the ring Zp[x]. It also allows us to simplify and manipulate polynomials in order to solve problems more efficiently.

How is "Proof of associates in Zp[x]" performed?

The proof of associates in Zp[x] involves checking if the two polynomials have the same degree, the same leading coefficient, and the same set of irreducible factors. If all three conditions are met, then the polynomials are considered to be associates.

What are the applications of "Proof of associates in Zp[x]"?

The proof of associates in Zp[x] is used in various mathematical fields such as number theory, algebra, and cryptography. It is also useful in computer science for polynomial factorization and error-correcting codes.

Can "Proof of associates in Zp[x]" be extended to other rings?

Yes, the concept of associates can be extended to other rings, such as the ring of integers or the ring of polynomials with coefficients in a different field. However, the specific proof for associates in Zp[x] may not be applicable in these other rings.