Accessible Proof for Buchdahl's Theorem in General Relativity?

In summary, Buchdahl's theorem is a mathematical proof that sets a limit on the amount of mass and pressure that can be contained within a finite spherical object without it collapsing into a black hole. It states that for a given radius, the maximum ratio of mass to radius is 4/9, meaning the more mass a spherical object has, the smaller its radius must be to avoid collapsing. The theorem is derived from Einstein's general theory of relativity and has implications in astrophysics, helping to understand the structure and behavior of stars. While not proven experimentally, observations of astronomical objects have supported its predictions.
lugita15
Where can I find an accessible proof of Buchdahl's theorem, which states that in general relativity GM/(c^2*R) must be less than 4/9?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
lugita15 said:
Where can I find an accessible proof of Buchdahl's theorem, which states that in general relativity GM/(c^2*R) must be less than 4/9?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance.

If I remember correctly, Schutz has a chapter (or at least a section) on this. I don't have my copy with me at the moment so I can't check.

1. What is Buchdahl's theorem?

Buchdahl's theorem is a mathematical proof that sets a limit on the amount of mass and pressure that can be contained within a finite spherical object without it collapsing into a black hole. It was first proposed by physicist Hans Buchdahl in 1959.

2. What does Buchdahl's theorem state?

Buchdahl's theorem states that for a given radius, the maximum ratio of mass to radius that a spherical object can have without collapsing into a black hole is 4/9, or approximately 0.444. This means that the more mass a spherical object has, the smaller its radius must be in order to avoid collapsing into a black hole.

3. How is Buchdahl's theorem derived?

Buchdahl's theorem is derived using the equations of Einstein's general theory of relativity. It involves solving the equations for a spherical object of uniform density and then finding the maximum mass and pressure that can be sustained against gravitational collapse at a given radius. This results in the 4/9 limit.

4. What are the implications of Buchdahl's theorem?

Buchdahl's theorem has important implications in astrophysics, as it sets a limit on the maximum size and mass that a neutron star or other compact object can have without collapsing into a black hole. It also helps to understand the structure and behavior of stars and other astronomical objects.

5. Has Buchdahl's theorem been proven experimentally?

No, Buchdahl's theorem has not been proven experimentally. It is a mathematical proof based on general relativity and has not been directly tested in a laboratory setting. However, observations of astronomical objects, such as neutron stars, have supported the predictions of Buchdahl's theorem.