Proof of calculating area and volume

In summary: NOT THE CURVES) drawn at the points of intersection of the two curves. Daniel.PS.I think the definition of angle on a curve/surface is independent of the definition of angle in analyt. geometry/elementary geometry...In summary, the formulas for calculating the perimeter and area of a circle, as well as the volume of a sphere, are derived through integration. The circle has an area, which can be seen through a visual proof involving infinitesimal segments. However, the area of a circle is considered to be zero in mathematical terms. A triangle is a closed curve with three angles and three sides, and the enclosed area is referred to as the area enclosed by a triangle. An angle on a (hyper)surface is defined
sitokinin
If r is the radius of a circle,

For circle perimeter we use; ''2*pi*r''

For circle area we use; ''pi*r²''

And for sphere we use; (4/3)*pi*r³

but how do we calculate them?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you mean, how did we find these formulas?

If YES, then, they arise from integration

Yes,by integration.

Daniel.

P.S.The circle does not have an area... :grumpy:

dextercioby said:
P.S.The circle does not have an area... :grumpy:

What !? :yuck:

sitokinin said:
If r is the radius of a circle,

For circle perimeter we use; ''2*pi*r''

The circumference of the circle is very easy, because it follows from the definition of [itex]\pi[/itex].

For circle area we use; ''pi*r²''

This actually needs calculus to be rigorous but there exists a cute "proof" that I learned in the local equivalent of elementary school. Take equal miniscule (at the limit, infinitesimal) segments of the circle. Each of these is shaped like a little slice of pizza. When you place two "slices" in opposite orientations, aligned along the radius, you will construct something that looks like a parallelogram. As you take more and more slices, it will approach a rectangle at the limit. The rectangle will have smaller side equal to r and larger side equal to [itex]\pi r[/itex], giving the area of [itex]\pi r^2[/itex]. Note that while this helps you to "see" the proof, it really uses basic concepts of calculus explained simply. To do it properly really does require calculus.

And for sphere we use; (4/3)*pi*r³

There is an elegant proof due to the Greeks that does not involve calculus. Read about it here : http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/QQ/database/QQ.09.01/rahul1.html

Curious3141 said:
What !? :yuck:

1.What is the definition of a circle??

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
1.What is the definition of a circle??

Daniel.

I have absolutely no idea what you're on about, but even Mathworld calls it the "area of the circle". http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Circle.html

OMG,they can't make the difference between a circle and disk... :yuck:

THE CIRCLE IS A CURVE,A UNIDIMENSIONAL OBJECT.CAN U CONSIDER THE AREA OF A CURVE?CAN U CONSIDER THE LENGTH OF A SURFACE??CAN U CONSIDER THE VOLUME OF A SURFACE?CAN U CONSIDER THE VOLUME OF A CURVE?

ME NEITHER.

So how can someone speak about the area of a circle??

:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Daniel.

PS.What about the triangle??The square??The polygons??Do they have area??

Enclosed area. No need for the outraged splitting of hairs.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh,well that's something else... :approve:

I'm glad you agree. :tongue2:

Daniel.

Good. :smile: Now what about the binomial thing below ? :biggrin:

Perfect. :approve:

If you really want to split hairs, there's an important difference between having zero area and not having area. :biggrin:

(The circle has zero area)

hey, so, how do I call the enclosed area of a triangle, square, rectangle ...etc :uhh:

Please,Hurkyl,show us that the circle has zero area using the double integral construction with Riemann sums... :bugeye:

Daniel.

vincentchan said:
hey, so, how do I call the enclosed area of a triangle, square, rectangle ...etc :uhh:

The "enclosed area of a triangle/square/rectangle" ? :tongue2:

The "enclosed volume of a cone/cylinder"??The volume of a ball??

Daniel.

PS.I liked the part with the physicists... :tongue2: ball

It reduces to showing that the outer area of the circle is zero. Recalling the definition, the outer area of a set X is defined as follows:

Consider any grid G of rectangles that covers X. Let A(G, X) be the total area of the rectangles of G that have a nonempty intersection with X. Then, the outer area of X is defined to be the infimum of A(G, X) over all grids G.

Then, you just need to show that, as you refine the grid, the number of such rectangles grows roughly linearly, while their areas decrease quadratically.

don't avoid my question... how people called the area enclosed by a triangle? I searched through google and return nothing, also.. is triangle an angle or a curve? if I have a closed shape contains 3 angle and 3 curve(not straight) on a flat plane, do we call it triangle? what if the shape is not closed? :cry: Could someone tell me what is a triangle... what is its definition?

Usually, one specifies precisely what they mean by "rectangle" (and similar words) before using it. (Like I should have done in my previous post)

vincentchan said:
don't avoid my question...

I didn't...

vincentchan said:
how people called the area enclosed by a triangle?

The enclosed area of a triangle?

vincentchan said:
I searched through google and return nothing

That's because it's not something specific.Any closed curve encloses a domain of (hyper)surface.Any (hyper)surface has an area and any domain (open/closed) has an area.Ergo,we should call it "area of the surface enclosed by a triangle",but that's too long and we say "area enclosed by a triangle"...

vincentchan said:
also.. is triangle an angle or a curve?

It is a closed curve which has three tops/peaks/summits (which is the word?? :confused: ),three angles and three sides...

vincentchan said:
if I have a closed shape contains 3 angle and 3 curve(not straight) on a flat plane, do we call it triangle?

Nope.I think it has to do with the fact that its sides must be geodesic curves on the (hyper)surface in which the triangle lies...

vincentchan said:
what if the shape is not closed? :cry:

Nope.It wouldn't be a triangle.

vincentchan said:
Could someone tell me what is a triangle... what is its definition?

Maybe my/this post gave you a (hopefully correct) idea.

Daniel.

Last edited:
dex, you are rock...I like you point out the concept of "geodesic curves", yeah, this solved my straight line problem in the triangle... howabout angles... how do you define angle?

could i define it like this: an angle is a continue curve which is not smooth...

vincentchan said:
dex, you are rock...I like you point out the concept of "geodesic curves", yeah, this solved my straight line problem in the triangle... howabout angles... how do you define angle?

could i define it like this: an angle is a continue curve which is not smooth...

I'm not looking for a textbook definition.I'll let u pick it up.Consider a (hyper)surface and the bunch of curves on it.These curves intersect each other.IIRC the definition of the angle between two curves on a (hyper)surface is the angle betweent the two tangent LINES (THESE MUST BE LINES) at the two curves in the intersection point.Note the fact that the concept of geodesic curves plays no role.Think about the 2D sphere (topological definition).The curves on this surface are from very simple (the geodesics,namely the big circles) to very complicated.The idea that the the angle between two of these curves is not given in terms of geodesics,but in terms of lines has deeper roots and allows the definition of angle between geodesic curves as well.
The roots are found in the fact that the lines I'm talking about care actually vectors in the tangent space of the manifold (2 sphere) in that point of intersection.
In the simple 2D plane u can have angles between geodesics (lines) and general curves (from simple to very complicated) given in terms of the lines tangent of the curves in the intersection point.The tangent space of the 2D plane coincides to the plane itself.
However,for a triangle,the sides must be geodesics and the angles in the triangle are defined in terms of the angle between the geodesics.Think of the astroid,can u think of it as being a "curved" quadrilater??Compute its angles.They are all zero...The sum would not be 360° as it should.Yet it would be in a plane,a closed plane curve...

Geometry is beautiful.

Daniel.

Thanks for the short explanation.

PS: I know the difference between the full circle and the empty circle, but I looked at the dictionary it has just one meaning for both!

Meanwhile when we calculate the area of a triangular, do we add the area of the line segments? I mean does the total area include the inside of the triangular and line segments or just the inside of the triangular?

sitokinin said:
Thanks for the short explanation.

You're welcome.

sitokinin said:
PS: I know the difference between the full circle and the empty circle,

No,no,you're talkin about another "animal",the DISK,or the 1D ball.It has a closure and that's the circle.

sitokinin said:
Meanwhile when we calculate the area of a triangular, do we add the area of the line segments?

We've just said that the curves have zero area... :grumpy: Segmens have zero area...

sitokinin said:
I mean does the total area include the inside of the triangular and line segments or just the inside of the triangular?

It's irrelevant,the closure (the triangle) has zero area...Adding with zero won't change anything...

Daniel.

The area enclosed by a CIRCUMFERENCE is called CIRCLE.
No problem if you say 'area of a circle' . However 'area of a circumference' doesn't make sense.
:-)

Last edited:
WRONG!Don't mislead people. :mad: The circle is the geometrical locus of all points from a plane found at equal distance from a fixed point.
I advise u read some geometry.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
WRONG!Don't mislead people.
I advise u read some geometry.

Who is misleading people here?

According to you, if circle was just a curve, its area would be zero.

However, try google "area of a circle" and "area of a circumference", and see the difference. If it is not enough, google "area of a disk", too.

The 2-D figure enclosed by a circle (a 1-D curve) is called a DISK.
End of discussion.
(This corresponds to the distinction in higher dimensions between a sphere and a ball)

Last edited:
Rogerio said:

However, try google "area of a circle" and "area of a circumference", and see the difference. If it is not enough, google "area of a disk", too.

I find your arguments to be funny... :tongue2: Sad but true... :tongue2:

The circle is a curve.It has null area.It encloses a plain domain called DISK.

Daniel.

Rogerio said:

"Circumference" is a number, not a set of points. The correct term for the set of points equi-distant from a given point is "circle" it has a circumference but its area is 0. The correct term for a the set of points bounded by a circle is "disk". It has non-zero area.

I did google on the terms you suggested. Of course, it is common to talk about the "area of a circle" when the strictly correct phrase should be "area of a disk". I notice that the hits on "area of a circumference" (there were only 4 as compared with thousands for "area of a circle" and "area of a disk") are all translations from a non-English source. I suspect that "circumference" is a mistranslation.

1. How do you calculate the area of a square?

The area of a square can be calculated by multiplying the length of one side by itself. So, if the side length is represented by s, the formula for calculating the area of a square is A = s x s.

2. What is the formula for finding the volume of a cube?

The volume of a cube can be calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of the cube. So, if the length, width, and height are represented by l, w, and h respectively, the formula for finding the volume of a cube is V = l x w x h.

3. How do you calculate the area of a triangle?

The area of a triangle can be calculated by multiplying the base of the triangle by its height and then dividing the product by 2. So, if the base is represented by b and the height is represented by h, the formula for calculating the area of a triangle is A = (b x h) / 2.

4. What is the difference between area and volume?

Area refers to the measure of the surface of a 2-dimensional shape, while volume refers to the measure of the space occupied by a 3-dimensional object. In other words, area is the measure of the space inside the boundaries of a shape, while volume is the measure of the space occupied by a solid object.

5. How do you convert between different units of measurement for area and volume?

To convert between different units of measurement for area and volume, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert square feet to square meters, you can multiply the number of square feet by 0.0929. Similarly, to convert cubic inches to cubic centimeters, you can multiply the number of cubic inches by 16.387.