Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of chain rule

1. Jun 21, 2009 #1
    Hello everyone,

I was looking at the proof of chain rule as posted here:

http://web.mit.edu/wwmath/calculus/differentiation/chain-proof.html"

I am having trouble understanding why delta(u) tends to 0 as delta(x) tends to 0. Can someone point out to me why that is so?

Many thanks,

Luca

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2009 #2
    Because the limit [tex]\lim_{\Delta x \to 0} \frac {\Delta u}{\Delta x}[/tex] must exist by hypothesis, and the only way that can happen is if [tex]\Delta u[/tex] decreases as [tex]\Delta x[/tex] decreases. The limit doesn't need to be 1 because the rate that the denominator and numerator decrease can differ, but it does need to be finite. Think of what would happen if [tex]\Delta u[/tex] approached a nonzero number or diverged to infinity; the limit would also diverge or not exist.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  4. Jun 21, 2009 #3
    u is continuous (at at least one point, the point where it is differentiable), which means
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} u(x) = u(a)[/tex]
    for all constants 'a' at which u is continuous which is equivalent to your statement (u(x) approaches u(a) as x approaches a).
    Expanding the deltas in your limit we have the statement
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow x_0} \frac{u(x) - u(x_0)}{x - x_0}[/tex]
    where a = x0.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook