1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of CLopen sets

1. Jan 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have been working with sets which are both closed and open the socalled clopen sets. I have some question.

Lets say that [tex]T \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n[/tex] is a subset which is both closed and open, and then if [tex]T = \mathbb{R}^n[/tex] or [tex]T = \emptyset[/tex]. Assume that [tex]\{T \neq \mathbb{R}^n|T \neq \emptyset\}[/tex]

Proving this results in a contradiction.

(1) Let [tex]U = \mathbb{R}^n \setminus T[/tex] and show that U is open and closed and not-empty.

3. The attempt at a solution

If [tex]U = \mathbb{R}^n \setminus (T = \mathbb{R}^n) = \emptyset.[/tex] since [tex]T = \mathbb{R}^n[/tex] which is non-empty and both closed and open according to above. Thus [tex]U = \mathbb{R}^n\setminus \emptyset = \mathbb{R}^n.[/tex] which therefore upholds the claim in (1).

(2) Let [tex]g: \mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex]
    be defined as:

[tex]g(x) = \left( \begin{array}{cc}1 \ \ \mathrm{for \ t \ \in \ T}\\ 0 \ \ \mathrm{for \ u \ \in U} \end{array}[/tex]

Prove that g is continious at every point [tex]t_{0} \in T[/tex]. is it something which uniform continouity which I need to use here?

If yes then I need to show here that for any t in g converges towards [tex]t_0[/tex]??

If yes then

By the definition of uniform continuity then

[tex]g: \mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow R[/tex] be continous at every [tex]t_0[/tex] if and only if there for every [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex] exists a [tex]\delta > 0[/tex] such that [tex]|g(t) - g(t_0)| < \epsilon \Leftrightarrow \|t - t_0 \| < \delta.[/tex]

Is the trick then to show that g upholds the defintions above??

Sincerely Yours
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What are you allowed to use? If R is a "clopen" set such that it is neither the empty set nor all of Rn, then S= complement (R) is neither the empty set nor Rn. S is closed because R is open- and R is also closed, of course. Then Rn= R union S where both R and S are closed: Rn is not a connected set. If you are allowed to use the fact that Rn is a connected set, that's a contradiction.
  4. Jan 28, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I confess that I am unable to figure out what you meant to say. Could you restate it?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?