1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of Continuity

1. Mar 7, 2008 #1
    I am having trouble with the following proofs. If someone can help I would appreciate it.

Problem Statement

Given that f, g are continuous at z, prove that

a- f+g is continuous at z
    b- For any complex [tex]\alpha, [/tex][tex]\alpha[/tex]f is continuous at z

There are other parts to this but if I think if I can get help on a) I think the rest will follow

Solution

The definition of continuous function is
    (lim x->c) f(x) = f(c)

I have to determine if f+g is continuous at z. To do this I am proceeding as follows:

1. (lim x->z) (f+g) = (lim x->z) f(x) + (lim x->z) g(x)
    2) Since (lim x->z) f(x) = continuous (given) and g(x) is coninuous (given) the sum will also be continuous.

Is this mathematically sufficient or am I missing a step.
    My problem with proofs is that I use the result in my explanation which is a no-no.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Asif

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2008 #2
    YIOu can either use directly epsylon, delta definition of continuity of a function, or you can approach it this way:
    since f, g continuous at z, we have
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\ z}f(x)=f(z) \ \ ,\ \lim_{x\rightarrow\ z} g(x)=g(z) [/tex] now

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\ z}(f(x)+g(x))= \lim_{x\rightarrow\ z}f(x)+\lim_{x\rightarrow\ z} g(x)=f(a)+g(a)[/tex] which actually is what we want to show!!!

4. Mar 7, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So you can use that and are not required to go back to "[itex]\epsilon, \delta[/itex] to prove it?

Isn't that simply a restatement of the theorem you want to prove? No, not exactly- I just reread it and while you just say "g(x) is continuous", you say "(limx->z)f(x)= continuous" but I can't make heads or tails of that. Surely the limit is not the word "continuous"! Perhaps you mean to say, "Since f is continuous at z, [itex]\lim{x\rightarrow z} f(x)= f(z)[/itex] and since g is continuous at z, ...", using that to show that [itex]\lim{x\rightarrow z} f(x)+ g(x)= f(z)+ g(z)[/itex] and then using that to show that f+ g is continuous. If your teacher is a real hard nose, you might need to show what "f(x)+ g(x)" has to do with "f+ g"!

It certainly is! I would strike you across the nose with a rolled up newspaper!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?