1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of Continuous Function

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f be a function such that:

[tex] \left |f(u) - f(v) \right | \leq \left | u - v\right | [/tex]

for all 'u' and 'v' in an interval [a, b].

a) Prove that f is continuous at each point of [a, b]
    b) Assume that f is integrable on [a, b]. Prove that:
    [tex] \left | \int_{a}^{b} f(x)dx - (b - a)f(c)\right | \leq \frac{(b-a)^{2}}{2} [/tex]

for any 'c' in [a, b].

2. Relevant equations

a)

I considered that:

[tex] \left | f(u) - f(v) \right | < \epsilon [/tex]
    [tex] \left | u - v \right | < \delta [/tex]

b)

I rewrote [tex](b - a)f(c)[/tex] as:

[tex]\int_{a}^{b} f(c)dx[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

a) I've attempted to consider [tex] \delta \geq \epsilon [/tex] Since the absolute value of the difference between 'u' and 'v' will be greater or equal to the absolute value of the difference between the difference of 'f(u)' and 'f(v)'. But no conclusive proof without supposing was achieved.

b) Maybe considering [tex]g(x) = \int_{a}^{b} f(x)dx[/tex] So as the integral can be considered as a function, I could use relation: [tex] \left |f(u) - f(v) \right | \leq \left | u - v\right | [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2
    Just a little information: This is question 33, section 3.6, chapter 3 from Apostol Vol. 1. I would really appreciate any help. I know that maybe no one will answer, but thanks anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook