1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of convergence

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that if a_n>=0 and summation a_n converges, then summation (a_n)^2 also converges.

3. The attempt at a solution
    (Note: When I say "lim" please assume the limit as n-->infinity). I just want it to be a little clearer to read)

If summation a_n converges, then lim(a_n)=0. If lim(a_n)=0, then lim(a_n)^2=0.
    If summation (a_n)^2 diverges, then lim(a_n)^2 does not equal 0. But lim(a_n)^2=0, so summation (a_n)^2 must converge.

Can anyone let me know if this is a valid proof? I'm not sure how else to prove it otherwise.....thank you.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2008 #2
    I'm having some trouble following those lines. What about [tex]a_{n}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}[/tex]?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  4. Feb 16, 2008 #3
    Oh, that does go against my proof. I don't know how else to prove it then. Any suggestions?

(I also edited a bit of my original post so that it would be a bit easier to read, hopefully)

5. Feb 16, 2008 #4
  6. Feb 16, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is definitely NOT true!

However, it is true that if [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] converges then [itex]lim a_n= 0[/itex].
    For sufficiently large n, an< 1 and so an2< |an|.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?