Understanding the Derivative of Arccsc x: Is There a Proof?

• Thread starter farleyknight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof for the derivative of arccsc(x) and how it relates to the derivative of arcsin(1/x). The conversation also mentions the notational differences and the importance of considering the restricted principle branch in the proof.
farleyknight
Hey all,

I'm trying to understand how [itex]\frac{d}{dx} \mathrm{arccsc} x = -\frac{1}{|x| \sqrt{x^2 - 1}}[/itex], which http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_trigonometric_function" , but haven't yet found one which explains this detail for arccsc. Is there a proof that explains it?

Thanks,
- Farley

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it may be largely notational, because if we allow x < 0 than the derivative becomes indentical to d(arcsec(x))/dx.

Here's a proof for the derivative of arccsc(x):

csc(y) = x
d(csc(y))/dx = 1
-csc(y)cot(y)y' = 1
y' = -1/(csc(y)cot(y))
Now, since 1 + cot(x)^2 = csc(x)^2, cot^2(x) = csc^2(x) - 1, therefore:
y' = -1/(x(x^2-1)^1/2)

[tex]\frac{\text{d}}{\text{d}x}\text{arccsc}x=\frac{\text{d}}{\text{d}x}\arcsin\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)[/tex]
Substitution:
[tex]y=\arcsin u[/tex]
Now I can use chain rule:
[tex]\frac{\text{d}y}{\text{d}u}\cdot\frac{\text{d}u}{\text{d}x}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-u^2}}\cdot\left(-\frac{1}{x^2}\right)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{x^2}}}\cdot\left(-\frac{1}{x^2}\right)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{x^2-1}{x^2}}}\cdot\left(-\frac{1}{x^2}\right)=\frac{|x|}{\sqrt{x^2-1}}\cdot\left(-\frac{1}{x^2}\right)[/tex]
There is important to realize:
[tex](x^2\geq0)\,\wedge\,(|x|\geq0)[/tex]
so there quotient must be also positive.
[tex]\frac{|x|}{x^2}=\frac{1}{|x|}[/tex]
If I use this to my proof, I obtain:
[tex]\frac{\text{d}}{\text{d}x}\text{arccsc}x=-\frac{1}{|x|\sqrt{x^2-1}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Bah, an oversight on my part. I overlooked a restricted principle branch in the step following csc^2(x) - 1 = cot^2(x). Sorry!

1. What is the proof of d/dx (arccsc x)?

The proof of d/dx (arccsc x) is a mathematical process that involves using the chain rule to find the derivative of the inverse of the cosecant function. It is used to determine the rate of change of the inverse cosecant function with respect to the variable x.

2. How do you solve for d/dx (arccsc x)?

To solve for d/dx (arccsc x), you need to use the chain rule and the derivative of the cosecant function. The derivative of arccsc x is equal to -1/(x * √(x^2 - 1)), so you would use this formula along with the chain rule to find the derivative.

3. What is the chain rule used for in the proof of d/dx (arccsc x)?

The chain rule is used in the proof of d/dx (arccsc x) because the function being differentiated is the inverse of the cosecant function, which is a composite function. The chain rule allows us to find the derivative of a composite function by breaking it down into smaller parts and applying the appropriate derivatives.

4. Can you provide an example of the proof of d/dx (arccsc x)?

Yes, an example of the proof of d/dx (arccsc x) is as follows:

Let u = arccsc x

Then, x = csc u

Using the chain rule, we have:

d/dx (arccsc x) = d/du (arccsc x) * du/dx

Substituting in the derivative of the inverse cosecant function, we get:

d/dx (arccsc x) = -1/(csc u * √(csc^2 u - 1)) * d/dx (csc u)

Using the derivative of the cosecant function, we get:

d/dx (arccsc x) = -csc u * cot u * -1/(csc u * √(csc^2 u - 1))

Finally, simplifying and substituting back in u = arccsc x, we get:

d/dx (arccsc x) = 1/(x * √(x^2 - 1))

5. Why is understanding the proof of d/dx (arccsc x) important?

Understanding the proof of d/dx (arccsc x) is important because it allows us to apply this knowledge to other problems involving inverse trigonometric functions and composite functions. It also helps to deepen our understanding of calculus concepts and principles, which is essential for further mathematical and scientific studies.