Proving the Derivative of Inverse Sine without Trigonometry

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, to prove that the derivative of arcsin(x) is equal to 1/sqrt(1-x^2), we can use the fact that x=sin(y) and cos(y)=sqrt(1-x^2) to show that cos(y)=sqrt(1-x^2) and therefore, the derivative of arcsin(x) is equal to 1/sqrt(1-x^2). This can also be shown using a right triangle, where sin(y)=x and cos(y)=sqrt(1-x^2).
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

Prove that:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}arcsin(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]y=arcsin(x)[/tex]
[tex]sin(y)=sin(arcsin(x))[/tex]
[tex]sin(y)=x[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(sin(y)=x)[/tex]
[tex]cos(y)\frac{dy}{dx}=1[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{cos(y)}[/tex]
Using a triangle:
[tex]cos(y)=\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}arcsin(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/tex]

We were shown these in class before starting trig-sub and all that, and the professor said that there are proofs by differentiation. I don't know how to explain the steps where I determine that the cosine of the angle y is equal to sqrt(1-x^2) without drawing out a triangle. Is there some way? Other than that I think I have it figured out and I can do the same for the other functions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, certainly,

[tex]x=sin(y)[/tex]

In addition,

[tex]sin^2y+cos^2y=1[/tex]

So it certainly follows that,

[tex]cos(y)=\sqrt{1-sin^2y}[/tex]

You can see that it follows naturally (by substitution) that,

[tex]cos(y)=\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]

And we're done!

Oh haha. That really should have occurred to me considering that I used the pyth. theorem to find cos(y).

Thanks

Since you refer to "Using a triangle", you can also do it this (equivalent) way:
imagine a right triangle triangle having "opposite side" of length x and "hypotenuse" of length 1, so that sin(y)= x/1= x. Then, by the Pythgorean theorem, the "near side" has length [itex]\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex]. From that, [itex]cos(y)= \sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex].

What is "Proof of d/dx arcsin(x)"?

"Proof of d/dx arcsin(x)" is a mathematical concept that refers to the derivative of the inverse sine function. It is a way of finding the rate of change of the inverse sine function at a given point.

Why is it important to understand "Proof of d/dx arcsin(x)"?

Understanding "Proof of d/dx arcsin(x)" is important because it is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps in solving more complex problems involving the inverse sine function.

How is "Proof of d/dx arcsin(x)" calculated?

The proof of d/dx arcsin(x) involves using the definition of the derivative and the chain rule to find the derivative of the inverse sine function. The result is the derivative of arcsin(x) = 1/√(1-x^2).

What are the key properties of "Proof of d/dx arcsin(x)"?

The key properties of "Proof of d/dx arcsin(x)" include that the derivative of arcsin(x) is always less than or equal to 1, and it has an increasing slope as x approaches the values of -1 and 1. Additionally, the domain of the inverse sine function is limited to [-1, 1] and its range is [-π/2, π/2].

How can "Proof of d/dx arcsin(x)" be applied in real life?

"Proof of d/dx arcsin(x)" has many real-life applications, such as in calculating the angle of elevation or depression in trigonometry problems, finding the maximum and minimum values of a function, and determining the rate of change of a variable in various fields like physics and engineering.