How do you prove the equivalence of ~(A & B) and ~A v ~B using basic rules?

In summary, you need to use simplification and modus ponens to derive a contradiction from the assumptions. Once you have a contradiction, you can use reductio ad absurdum to prove the equivalence of the two statements.
ranjha
Can someone tell me how to prove DeMorgan's Laws using the basic rules?

~(A & B) = ~A v ~B

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, ranjha! :biggrin:

Well, there's more than one set of rules and more than one proof. Is this homework, or are you just curious? Do you have some rules in mind?

Last edited:
Proof of DeMorgan's Law

This is homework...we are expected to know this. It's just that we have been taught a certain number of rules of inference. So the examples I have seen don't make sense to me. We have to know how to prove his Law by using the rules we have learned: Modus Ponens, Tollens, Simplification, Conjunction, Disjunction, Conjunctive and Disjunctive Arguments, Conditional Proofs, Chain Rule, Dilemmas, Reductio, Double Negation, Transposition, and Material Implication. These are the only ones we have learned so far and I am completely lost as to how to start. Please help.

ranjha said:
This is homework...we are expected to know this. It's just that we have been taught a certain number of rules of inference. So the examples I have seen don't make sense to me. We have to know how to prove his Law by using the rules we have learned: Modus Ponens, Tollens, Simplification, Conjunction, Disjunction, Conjunctive and Disjunctive Arguments, Conditional Proofs, Chain Rule, Dilemmas, Reductio, Double Negation, Transposition, and Material Implication. These are the only ones we have learned so far and I am completely lost as to how to start. Please help.
Well, you are given no premises, so you will have to use conditional proof or reductio, right?

Try (~A v ~B) => ~(A & B).

1) ~A v ~B [assumption]
2)) A & B [assumption -- for reductio]
3)) can you change (1) into an implication?

Oh, sorry, an implication is another name for a conditional: p -> q

Last edited:
proof

ok:

1) ~A v ~B (assume)
2)) A & B (assume)
3)) A --> ~B (1 M Implication)

is this what you mean?? but where do I go from here?

ranjha said:
ok:
1) ~A v ~B (assume)
2)) A & B (assume)
is this what you mean?? but where do I go from here?
Yes, that's what I meant.
Do you understand why I made those assumptions? I want to prove

(~A v ~B) => ~(A & B)

So I assume (~A v ~B) and try to derive ~(A & B). I will try to derive ~(A & B) by assuming (A & B) and trying to derive a contradiction so that I can infer ~(A & B) by reductio. You just want to derive a contradiction -- (A & ~A) or (B & ~B). Use simplification and modus ponens.

proof

ok I kind of understand what you are trying to do. I get that you are going to use Reductio to prove the law. But can you please get me started? I don't know what the next step should be.

1) ~A v ~B (assume)
2)) A & B (assume)
4)) A (2 simplification)
5)) ~B (3,4 MP)
6)) B (2 simplification)
7)) B & ~B (5,6 Conjunction)
8)) ~B (7 RA)
9)) how would you go from here? and is this right so far?

ranjha said:
ok I kind of understand what you are trying to do. I get that you are going to use Reductio to prove the law. But can you please get me started? I don't know what the next step should be.
1) ~A v ~B (assume)
2)) A & B (assume)
4)) A (2 simplification)
5)) ~B (3,4 MP)
6)) B (2 simplification)
7)) B & ~B (5,6 Conjunction)
That's right, except that I forgot to nest the first assumption.

1)) ~A v ~B (assume)
2))) A & B (assume)
3))) A --> ~B (1 M Implication)
4))) A (2 simplification)
5))) ~B (3,4 MP)
6))) B (2 simplification)
7))) B & ~B (5,6 Conjunction)

(7) allows you to infer

8)) ~(A & B) [2-7, reductio ad absurdum]

Just apply conditional proof and you're done with this half. You still need to prove the other half of the equivalence:

~(A & B) => (~A v ~B)

How would you begin?

1. What are DeMorgan's Laws?

DeMorgan's Laws are a set of rules in boolean algebra that describe the relationship between logical operators "AND" and "OR". They state that the negation of a conjunction (AND) is equivalent to the disjunction (OR) of the negations of the individual terms, and vice versa.

2. Who discovered DeMorgan's Laws?

Augustus De Morgan, a British mathematician and logician, first described DeMorgan's Laws in the 19th century. However, other mathematicians, such as Leibniz and Boole, had previously hinted at similar concepts.

3. Why are DeMorgan's Laws important?

DeMorgan's Laws are important because they allow us to simplify boolean expressions and make them easier to work with. They also help us to understand the logical relationships between different statements and expressions.

4. How are DeMorgan's Laws used in computer science?

In computer science, DeMorgan's Laws are used to manipulate and simplify boolean expressions in programming languages and digital logic circuits. They are particularly useful in optimizing code and improving the efficiency of computer systems.

5. Can DeMorgan's Laws be applied to other logical operators?

Yes, DeMorgan's Laws can be applied to any logical operator that has an inverse, such as "NOT" and "NOR". They can also be extended to multiple variables and more complex boolean expressions.