1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of Divergence?

1. Jul 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Decide whether the series below is absolutely convergent, conditionally convergent, or divergent:

[tex]\sum_{1}^{\infty}(2n+3)!/(n!)^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

By graphing the equation, I am confident that the series is divergent, but I don't know how to prove it. I cannot do the algebraic manipulation for a ratio test, assuming it is even possible, and none of the other tests seem applicable. Since it's apparently going to be divergent, I can't to a comparison test.

That leaves either a straight limit test, or a limit comparison test. Unfortunately, it looks to me like the limit converges to zero. Factorial is stronger than the power function, but how can I prove factorial squared is weaker than a larger factorial in the numerator?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2011 #2
    The series diverges by the ratio test. Can you show what you've done using the ratio test?

4. Jul 10, 2011 #3
    I can try....

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}(2n+5)!/((n+1)!)^2 * (n!)^2/(2n+3)![/tex]

If we expand and simplify [(n+1)!]^2, we get n!(n+1)n!(n+1)

Cancel the two n! in the numerator and denominator to get....

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}(2n+5)!/[(n+1)^2(2n+3)!][/tex]

I can't further simplify this expression, or pove that it is greater than 1.

Is this the right track?

5. Jul 10, 2011 #4
    So far so good.

Hint: [itex](2n+5)! = (2n+5)(2n+4)(2n+3)![/itex]

6. Jul 10, 2011 #5
    Yeah I'm dumb...

So canceling the common factorials gives us....

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}(2n+5)(2n+4)/(n+1)(n+1)[/tex]

Expand and approximate using leading coefficients to get...

[tex]\approx 4n^2/n^2[/tex]

Which converges to 4/1 > 1 at the limit, so divergent. I think this is correct now.

Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook