1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of faulhaber's formula

1. May 6, 2010 #1
    hi
    i have a problem with the the proof of faulhaber's formula given http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/ProofOfFaulhabersFormula.html" [Broken]

how is [tex]\left(\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{n^{k+1}}{k+1}.\frac{x^k}{k!}\right)\left(\sum_{l=0}^{\infty}B_{l}\frac{x^l}{l!}\right)[/tex] equals [tex]\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(\sum_{i=0}^{k}\frac{1}{k-i+1}\binom{k}{i}B_{i}n^{k+1-i}\right)\frac{x^k}{k!}[/tex]
    ??
    thanks in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2010 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Effect the change of variable
    i=l
    k'=k+l

4. May 6, 2010 #3
    I don't know how that would work with the limits. Wouldn't you still have [itex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty[/itex]?

A simpler? if longer explanation is that the sequence on the right is the Cauchy product of the two on the left:

[itex](\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_kx^k)(\sum_{l=0}^\infty b_lx^l)=\sum_{k=0}^\infty(\sum_{i=0}^k a_{k-i}b_i)x^k[/itex]

which is taking the coefficient of [itex]x^k[/itex] on the RHS as the sum of all the [itex]a_{k-i}b_i[/itex] with [itex]0\leq i\leq k[/itex]. This converges if both series on the left do and at least one (in this case both) are absolutely convergent.

Replacing the [itex]a_i[/itex] and [itex]b_i[/itex] from the given sequences and using

[itex]\left( \begin{array}{c} k\\ i \end{array} \right )=\frac{k!}{(k-i)!i!}[/itex]

gives you what you want.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook