How can the Fibonacci sequence be proven using induction?

In summary, to prove the equation F_(k+r) = F_k * F_(r-2) + F_(k+1) * F_(r-1) for k >= 0 and r >= 2, induction can be used by fixing k and showing it holds for r = 2. The next problem of proving F_2n = (F_n-1)^2 + (F_n)^2 can also be approached using induction, but substituting r = k in the previous equation did not result in a solution. More work needs to be done to eliminate the second term.
majestrooo

Homework Statement

Prove for k >= 0, r >= 2

F_(k+r) = F_k * F_(r-2) + F_(k+1) * F_(r-1)

Homework Equations

I wonder if one should use induction ? If so, I don't know how to do it with two variables.

If not, should I use the Fibonacci definition F_n = F_n-1 + F_n-2 in some way by substitution and renaming
subindexes?

The Attempt at a Solution

Have only tried to substitute index like k + r = m, r-2 = m etc but no luck :(

Physics news on Phys.org
If you fix k then you can easily do induction on r, and that works out. So if you can also show that it holds for r = 2 for this fixed k, then you have your result (k being arbitrary).

Ok cool, I solved it!

Now my next problem is to prove F_2n = (F_n-1)^2 + (F_n)^2

So I tried to set r = k in the previous identity but I didn't get a solution.

Here's my attempt

r = k

F_2k = F_k * F_k-2 + F_k+1 * F_k-1

= (F_k-1 + F_k-2) * F_k-2 + F_k+1 * F_k-1

= F_k-1 * F_k-2 + (F_k-2)^2 + F_k+1 * F_k-1

= F_k-1 * F_k-2 + (F_k-2)^2 + (F_k + F_k-1) * F_k-1

= F_k-1 * F_k-2 + (F_k-2)^2 + F_k * F_k-1 + (F_k-1)^2

= (F_k-2)^2 + F_k-1 * (F_k + F_k-2) + (F_k-1)^2

= (F_k-2)^2 - (F_k-1)^2 + (F_k-1)^2 (attention " - " before the second term)

= (F_k-2)^2 = (F_k + F_k-1)^2 = (F_k)^2 + 2F_k * F_k-1 + (F_k-1)^2

So how do I get rid of th second term? ;)

What is the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence is a mathematical sequence in which each number is the sum of the two preceding ones, starting from 0 and 1. The sequence is as follows: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, ...

What is the significance of the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence is significant because it appears in many natural phenomena, such as the branching of trees, the arrangement of leaves on a stem, and the shape of spiral galaxies. It also has many applications in mathematics and computer science.

What is the proof of the Fibonacci sequence?

The proof of the Fibonacci sequence involves using mathematical induction to show that each number in the sequence is indeed the sum of the two preceding numbers. It can also be proven using binomial coefficients and generating functions.

Who discovered the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence was first described by Leonardo Fibonacci, an Italian mathematician, in his book Liber Abaci in 1202. However, the sequence was known to Indian mathematicians centuries before Fibonacci's time.

What are some interesting facts about the Fibonacci sequence?

- The Golden Ratio, a mathematical constant found in many natural and man-made objects, is closely related to the Fibonacci sequence. - The ratio of any two consecutive numbers in the sequence approaches the Golden Ratio as the sequence goes on. - The Fibonacci sequence can be found in the spiral patterns of sunflowers, pinecones, and seashells. - The sequence can also be extended by starting with different numbers, such as 1 and 3, or 2 and 7.