Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of function existence

1. Aug 18, 2014 #1
    Suppose all second partial derivatives of [itex]F = F (x, y)[/itex] are continuous and [itex]F_{xx} + F_{yy} = 0[/itex] on an open rectangle [itex]R[/itex].
    Show that [tex]F_ydx - F_xdy = 0[/tex] is exact on [itex]R[/itex], and therefore there’s a function [itex]G[/itex] such that
    [tex]G_x = −F_y[/tex] and [tex]Gy = F_x[/tex] in [itex]R[/itex].
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
    To prove that [itex]F_ydx + F_xdy = 0[/itex] is exact on [itex]R[/itex],
    I have [tex]F_{xx} + F_{yy} = 0[/tex]
    which is [tex]F_{xx}=-F_{yy}[/tex]
    Integrating both sides and cancel out the constants I obtain
    [tex]F_x=-F_y[/tex]
    This proves the function [itex]F_ydx - F_xdy = 0[/itex] is exact on [itex]R[/itex]​
    Could you help me prove the existence of [itex]G[/itex] ? Thank you.....

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2014 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If your rectangle lives in the plane, then just show the form [tex]F_ydx - F_xdy = 0[/tex] is closed, since in a rectangle, every closed form is exact. If you haven't seen this, what results can you use?

4. Aug 19, 2014 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

How do you know constants are identical?

5. Aug 19, 2014 #4
    I answered so, I meant to choose 2 exact constants to give both a go.
    I'm thinking because I already answered the first which is also the main part of the problem, I may continue to put "the given function has become exact on R, so there must be a function G that satisfies both of the given conditions in R"

Is this a correct solution ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook