1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of Gauss's law

1. Oct 9, 2009 #1
    Hi guys. My question is related to proving Gauss's law by using Columb's law. Let start with a charge density [tex]\rho(\vec{r})[/tex] in [tex]R^3[/tex] . by Columb's law we have :
    [tex]E(\vec{r})=\int{\frac{\rho(\vec{r'})d^3r'(\vec{r'}-\vec{r})}
    {|\vec{r'}-\vec{r}|^3}}[/tex]

suppose that domain of function [tex]\rho(\vec{r})[/tex] is finite in [tex]R^3[/tex]. Clearly it can be showed that above integral exists for any [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] out of the domain. & it's divergence is zero out of the domain. So for any Gauss's surface out of domain we can use Divergence theoreom to prove that
    [tex]\int{E(\vec{r}).\vec{dS}}=\int{\rho(\vec{r})d^3\vec{r}}=\frac{Q}{\epsilon 0}[/tex]

But for a Gauss's surface that goes through domain of [tex]\rho(\vec{r})[/tex] we have two problems :
    1. it is not clear that for all [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] the integral of electric field exist and converges.
    2. Suppose that E converges for any [tex]\vec{r}[/tex]. But it is not easy to bring devergence operator in the integral. Divergence theoreom doesn't work here.

What is your idea? Please don't use delta dirac function. I don't understand it. Because I haven't studied distributions in mathematics.
    Similar question can be asked when we have surface charge density on the Gauss's surface.
    Sorry for bad english

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2009 #2
    I think its more important that you understand the dirac delta function right now than prove gauss's law. This is a fundamental idea which can greatly simplify many of your future calculations.

4. Oct 9, 2009 #3
    I believe most of physicists or at least undergraduate people in physics don't understand delta dirac function (Like many things in mathematics) , They just use it. Like me !

I think similar to proving Gauss's law , clearly with divergence theorem out of charge's distribution , there is a way to show Gauss's law is true in other conditions that I interpreted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook