1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of generalised eigenvectors

1. Jun 19, 2012 #1
    Hi this is my first time posting on here so hopefully I get it right.

Given the linear system x'(t) = Ax(t)' with an eigenvalue (lambda) of algebraic multiplicity 2 and geometric multiplicity 1 (repeated root), one solution is w.exp(lambda t) and the other w.t.exp(lambda t) + u.exp(lambda t). Show that u satisfies (A-lambda.I)u = w.

We are given this equation that we have to show u satisfies in the note, but I can't work out how to show it....I'm not even sure if the question requires a full proof but here is my attempt.

Started with (A-lambda.I)u = w
    Expand.....A.u - lambda.u = w
    Multiply through by e(lambda.t).....A.u.e(lambda.t) - lambda.u.e(lambda.t) = w.e(lambda.t)

Now if u.e(lambda.t) was a solution to the original equation id be able to solve by subbing in to original equation and integrating, and this would work. So I feel like I'm close but can't quite workout where to go next?

Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted