Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of God and proof that he's vain

1. Jun 27, 2009 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

[ updated ]
    This photo and the surrounding kerfuffle involving Iran http://www.boingboing.net/2008/07/10/iran-you-suck-at-pho.html" [Broken] gave me a flash of insight:
    20080709iranmissilephotoshop41.jpg

There is a God. He is vain, and he owns an awesome version of PhotoShop:

web_print.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/EinsteinCross.jpg [Broken]

gravlens.gif

:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

..... what?

4. Jun 27, 2009 #3
    ???

Lol... I have no idea what you're talking about Dave.
    Are you tired? Been drinking?
    No offense or anything. :-)

5. Jun 27, 2009 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Gravitational Lensing. Einstein crosses.

God only had a so-so-sized universe, so he PhotoShopped it. He cloned parts to make it look bigger!

6. Jun 27, 2009 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Def been drinking. That's okay -- it's Friday night.

7. Jun 27, 2009 #6

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Hm, five lensed quasars in one photo? Interesting. (I've seen this photo before a lot of times, but that doesn't make it any less interesting. :tongue2:)

8. Jun 27, 2009 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I'm starting to get the gist, but jokes sort of lose their impact when they need in-depth explanation to understand them.

Does the first photo have extra people photoshopped into it? My screen is too small and I woke up with a headache, so staring closely enough to see if there are people repeated in the photo is too much effort for right now.

9. Jun 27, 2009 #8

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Just goes to show that we need to build bigger/wider aperture telescopes to replace HST. Something with a resolution of 0.001'' would be nice.

10. Jun 27, 2009 #9

RonL

Gold Member

My take on the first picture, is how to stand out in a crowd, what I see shows a lot of vanity.

11. Jun 27, 2009 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was my first impression, but then he started talking about what sounds like a mirror image illusion or something (is that what "lensing" is?) so I thought maybe there was more to it. Maybe I should stop trying to think too much until the headache goes away. :rolleyes:

12. Jun 27, 2009 #11

RonL

Gold Member

I don't strain too hard on things like this, maybe it has something to do with "a thousand points of light":biggrin:

13. Jun 27, 2009 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

In retrospect, the complete lack of explanation of the significance of the Korean Army photo may have attentuated the humourous effect somewhat.

It was very late and it never occurred to me that the signifiance of that photo is not common knowledge. It isn't of course; sometimes I'm a bit self-involved... :redface:

Maybe I will edit the OP.

[ EDIT: I have edited the OP]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  14. Jun 27, 2009 #13

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

C'mon guys, it's obvious: Kim Il is so fat, he results in gravitational lensing!

15. Jun 27, 2009 #14

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Dave, you should have left the picture of Kim Jong-il in the OP.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  16. Jun 27, 2009 #15
    You think gravitational lensing is the best photoshopping God does??! Consider that he has photoshopped quite a few copies of a handful of particle types!

Seriously, I often ponder that we get so used to identical particles being absolutely identical, we forget to ask, "why are they all identical? Why are they not all unique--like snowflakes? Is it that they are all just different views of the same particle".

17. Jun 27, 2009 #16

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It didn't make any sense. It wasn't clone-stamped to make the event appear larger, so the reference is lost.

There was a pic Dugg just in the last week of a demonstration that was Photoshopped to look like it was a much larger turnout than appeared. That was the pic I needed, but no Googling has turned it up.

18. Jun 27, 2009 #17

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Others had already responded to the OP, including the image of Kim Jong-il. Yes - it was non-sequitir, but so are the missiles somewhat, except for the photoshopping comment.

Some of those tiny galaxies look like they could be photoshopped. Apparently any digital image could be these days.

19. Jun 27, 2009 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What? No. The missiles are perfect.

The Koreans added missiles to make the pic looks like there are more missiles than there are.

Yeah but God didn't PS the images, God Photoshopped the galaxies themselves with some sort of RealityPhotoShop tool! :biggrin:
    "Say, I don't have time to make a zillion more galaxies - got to get on with the waters and the creatures ... Hey, I'll just clone stamp these existing galaxies!"

Damn. Too subtle. I should polish the joke a little, could use a better lead-in and pay-off.

20. Jun 27, 2009 #19
    Is this gravitational lensing in the background?
    1244593174517.jpg

21. Jun 27, 2009 #20

I think God must have photoshopped the bust line to save on resources. It's already twisting Space-Time as it is. Do any of you feel the immense Gravity pull? I am afraid the event horizon of her bust is at least 100 metres.

BTW, is this a toilet paper roll on the floor?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook