Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of Golbach's conjecture and the twin prime conjecture

1. Jul 9, 2005 #1
    I found this on arxiv...is this guy a loon or do the proofs seem reasonable?

Proofs

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2005 #2
    Interesting paper!
    I believe that the author gave more explanation on his formula to his P(N). Right now to me it seems to have been just plucked out of thin air.

Anyways, intelligent nitpicks should be left for the more qualified.

-- AI

4. Jul 9, 2005 #3

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is not a proof, there are multiple mistakes and they have neglected to prove some areas which I believe to be untrue anyway. I need to head off to the shop, I might sit down later and try and demonstrate why this isn't true unless someone else has either done this or in fact shown me to be wrong.

5. Jul 9, 2005 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I go with loon.

As far as I can tell, the only thing he's done is to observe that there are three distinct numbers of the form:

[tex]\cos 2\pi(\frac{j}{3} + (N - 3)) + i \sin 2\pi(\frac{j}{3} + (N-3))[/tex]

and two distinct numbers of the form

[tex]\cos 2\pi(\frac{j}{2} + (N+1 - 3)) + i \sin 2\pi(\frac{j}{2} + (N+1-3))[/tex]

when j and N are integers.

6. Jul 9, 2005 #5
    Glad to know, i am not the only one not thinking that the guy is a loon. I thought people took that paper seriously or something, since no one answered it for quite some time!

-- AI

7. Jul 9, 2005 #6

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This guy is awesome. I have a number of his papers on my computer. He's also "proven" twin primes, Riemann hypothesis, and of course Fermat's Last Theorem.

This is at least a year old, does arxiv ever take out the trash?

8. Jul 9, 2005 #7

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I know a very pretty girl who goes to a college near that university, I'll ask if she knows whether people take him seriously around there.

9. Jul 9, 2005 #8

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The "very pretty girl" contact...very good :smile:

If they do take him seriously, they must think he's a mathematical god. On arxiv, he's also "proven" the Euler-Masceroni constant is irrational.

10. Jul 9, 2005 #9
    The only point of that paper is to impress the math-illiterate with fancy-looking equations.

11. Jul 9, 2005 #10

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

it seems clear that if any of those things had been proven the news would have circumnavigated the globe by now. hence the arguments are pretty likely to be bogus. admitedly i have not read the paper, but i am not likely to either.

but if someone gets a date out of it, hey all is not lost. :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?