Proof of heat flow direction?

In summary, the conversation was about proving the direction of heat flow from a high temperature area to a low temperature area using the 2nd law of thermodynamics. The attempt at a solution involved using equations from a heat transfer text and a statistical physics text to show that the entropy of a system tends to increase in a process, leading to the conclusion that heat flows from a high temperature area to a low temperature area.
MJCfromCT
"Proof" of heat flow direction?

Hi everyone, I have a homework problem that basically says to prove that heat is conducted from a high temperature area to a low temperature area:

Homework Statement

Consider a one-dimensional conductor, stretching from x=0 to x=L. The two ends are maintained at T_0 and T_L. The four sides of the conductor are insulated. The temperature distribution along the conductor is steady.

q_0 represents the heat that enters through the x=0 cross section. Assume q_0 is position, so heat is conducted in the positive x-direction.

Invoke the 2nd law to prove that q_0 flows toward lower temperatures, for example, by showing that T_L cannot be greater than T_0

Homework Equations

2nd Law of thermodynamics

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is as follows:

I have the 2nd Law in the following form:

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9004/problem11qw8.jpg

I have come across this equation in my text (Heat Transfer, Bejan, 1993) as well:

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/6189/problem12ks5.jpg

I wish to substitute this equation into the "q" part of the 2nd Law. From here, in order for the "dS/dt" term to be greater than or equal to zero (Entropy always increasing), the T_0 - T_L term must be greater than zero, therefore, T_0 must be greater than T_L.

Does this make sense? I'm not sure what to do about the summation term in the form of the 2nd law that I have. Do I only pick the "0" position and forget about the "L" position?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your question got me curious, so I pulled out my old statistical physics text (berkeley physics course-volume 5 by F. Reif). Heres a couple of quotes that may help?
In an infinitesimal quasi-static process in which the system absorbs heat dQ, its entropy changes by an amount
dS=dQ/T
where T is ...called its absolute temperature.

In any process in which a thermally isolated system changes from on macrostate to another, its entropy tends to increase, i.e.,
deltaS>=0
...is significant because it specifies the direction in which nonequilibrium situations tend to proceed.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. I agree with the quotes you have listed, but I am unsure as to how they help. I agree that they discuss the means by which entropy increases, but I am unsure as to how the increase in entropy relates to the diffusion of heat from a high temperature area to a low temperature area.

1. What is heat flow direction?

Heat flow direction refers to the direction in which heat energy travels. In other words, it is the movement of thermal energy from a warmer object or area to a cooler one.

2. How is heat flow direction measured?

Heat flow direction is typically measured using a device called a thermometer. This instrument uses the principle of thermal expansion to detect changes in temperature and provide a numerical value for heat flow direction.

3. Why is it important to understand heat flow direction?

Understanding heat flow direction is crucial in many scientific fields, such as thermodynamics, meteorology, and geology. It helps us understand how energy is transferred and distributed in different systems, and how it affects the behavior of materials and substances.

4. Can heat flow direction be reversed?

Yes, heat flow direction can be reversed through a process called heat transfer. This can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation, where thermal energy is transferred from a cooler object to a warmer one.

5. How does heat flow direction affect our daily lives?

Heat flow direction plays a significant role in our daily lives, as it affects the temperature of our surroundings, the heating and cooling of our homes and buildings, and the distribution of heat in cooking and food preservation. It also has major implications in industries such as energy production and transportation.