Proof of Inequality: Induction & Derivation Help

In summary, In the proof by induction, we first show that for all ##x_1, \dots x_{n+1} \ge 1##, and then use this to prove that for all ##x_1, \dots x_{n} \ge 1##.
PhysicsRock
Homework Statement
Given ##x_1, x_2...x_n## and ##x_i \geq 1##, prove ##\prod_{i=1}^{n} (1+x_i) \geq \frac{2^n}{n+1} \left( 1 + \sum_{i=1}^{n} x_i \right)##.
Relevant Equations
None.
The assignment says proof by induction is possible, I cannot figure out how this is supposed to work out. Does somebody know the name of this by any chance? Seeing a derivation might help come up with an idea for a proof. Thank you everybody.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you think of the steps involved in proving something by induction and list them out? That should help you realize what you have to do.

PhysicsRock said:
Homework Statement:: Given ##x_1, x_2...x_n## and ##x_i \geq 1##, prove ##\prod_{i=1}^{n} (1+x_i) \geq \frac{2^n}{n+1} \left( 1 + \sum_{i=1}^{n} x_i \right)##.
Relevant Equations:: None.

The assignment says proof by induction is possible, I cannot figure out how this is supposed to work out. Does somebody know the name of this by any chance? Seeing a derivation might help come up with an idea for a proof. Thank you everybody.
The inductive step looks tricky. What about using some calculus?

Actually, it doesn't need calculus. I just hacked away algebraically until it cracked!

PeroK said:
Actually, it doesn't need calculus. I just hacked away algebraically until it cracked!
Yeah, I think I found a proof too. Purely algebraically.

Hint: for any ##x_1, \dots x_n##, transform the required inequality into an inequality in a function of ##x = x_{n+1}##, where ##S = \sum_{i=1}^{n} x_i \ge n##.

PhysicsRock said:
Yeah, I think I found a proof too. Purely algebraically.
Using induction?

PeroK said:
Using induction?
Partly, yes. I first ignored the ##\frac{2^n}{N+1}## and then showed that it fulfills the requirement for the inequality to hold.

PhysicsRock said:
Partly, yes. I first ignored the ##\frac{2^n}{N+1}## and then showed that it fulfills the requirement for the inequality to hold.
I might post my solution when I get on my laptop later.

PeroK said:
I might post my solution when I get on my laptop later.
Would be nice to see an alternative. Always like to see different proofs, so it would be highly appreciated :)

To take the inductive step, we have to show that for all ##x_1, \dots x_{n+1} \ge 1##:
$$\prod_{i = 1}^{n+1} (1 + x_i) \ge \frac{2^{n+1}}{n+2}\big ( 1 + \sum_{i = 1}^{n+1} x_i \big )$$Given the inductive hypothesis that this inequality holds for all ##x_1, \dots x_{n} \ge 1##. Using this, we have:
$$\prod_{i = 1}^{n+1} (1 + x_i) \ge (1 + x_{n+1}) \frac{2^n}{n+1}\big ( 1 + \sum_{i = 1}^{n} x_i \big )$$We let ##x = x_{n+1}## and ##S = \sum_{i = 1}^{n} x_i##. Note that ##x \ge 1## and ##S \ge n##. Then it is enough to show (this is a standard phrase in proofs) that:
$$(1 + x)\frac{2^n}{n+1}\big ( 1 + S \big ) \ge \frac{2^{n+1}}{n+2}\big ( 1 + x + S \big )$$Or:
$$(n+2)(1 +x)(1 + S) - 2(n + 1)(1 + x + S) \ge 0$$Or:
$$x\big [(n+2)S - n\big ] - n(1 + S) \ge 0$$Finally, as ##x \ge 1##:
$$x\big [(n+2)S - n\big ] - n(1 + S) \ge (n+2)S - n - n(1+S) = 2(S - n) \ge 0$$QED

Note that equality holds if and only if ##\forall i: x_i = 1##.

Likes SammyS
PS On a technical note, we could now turn this round and starting with ##S \ge 1## do a sequence of implications from bottom to top. But, I think it's perhaps better to leave it as a sequence of reverse implications or "enough to shows".

This seems vaguely-related to the comparison of different types of means. Here arithmetic, geometric. But not 100% clear how, obviously .

1. What is the concept of proof of inequality in mathematics?

The proof of inequality is a mathematical method used to show that one quantity is greater than or less than another quantity. It involves using logical reasoning and mathematical operations to demonstrate the relationship between two quantities.

2. How is induction used in proving inequalities?

Induction is a mathematical technique that involves proving a statement for a specific case, and then showing that if the statement is true for one case, it is also true for the next case. In proving inequalities, induction is used to show that if a statement is true for a specific value, it is also true for the next value.

3. What is the role of derivation in proving inequalities?

Derivation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function. In proving inequalities, derivation is used to show that the rate of change of one quantity is greater than or less than the rate of change of another quantity, thus proving the inequality.

4. Can you provide an example of a proof of inequality using induction?

One example of a proof of inequality using induction is the proof that n^2 < 2^n for all positive integers n. The base case is n=1, which gives 1^2 < 2^1. Then, assuming the statement is true for n=k, we can show that it is also true for n=k+1 by using the induction hypothesis and algebraic manipulation to prove (k+1)^2 < 2^(k+1).

5. Are there any limitations to using induction and derivation in proving inequalities?

While induction and derivation are powerful tools for proving inequalities, they do have some limitations. For example, they may not be applicable to all types of inequalities and may require a certain level of mathematical knowledge and skill to use effectively. Additionally, they may not always provide the most elegant or efficient solution to a problem.