1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of Inequality

1. May 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that if [tex] |x-x_0| < \textrm{min} \bigg ( \frac{\epsilon}{2|y_0|+1},1 \bigg )[/tex] and [tex]|y-y_0| < \frac{\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1}[/tex] then [tex]xy-x_0y_0<\epsilon[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    We can use basic algebra and the following axioms:
    For any number [tex]a[/tex], one and only one of the following holds:
    (i) [tex]a=0[/tex]
    (ii) [tex]a[/tex] is in the collection [tex]P[/tex]
    (iii) [tex]-a[/tex] is in the collection [tex]P[/tex]
    Note: A number [tex]n[/tex] is the collection [tex]P[/tex] if and only if [tex]n>0[/tex]

If [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] are in [tex]P[/tex], then [tex]a+b[/tex] is in [tex]P[/tex].

If [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] are in [tex]P[/tex], then [tex] a \cdot b [/tex] is in P.

We may also use the following consequences of the above axioms:

For any numbers [tex]a[/tex]and [tex]b[/tex], one and only one of the following holds:
    (i) [tex]a=b[/tex]
    (ii) [tex]a < b[/tex]
    (iii)[tex] a > b[/tex]

For any numbers [tex]a[/tex], [tex]b[/tex], and [tex]c[/tex], if [tex]a<b[/tex] and [tex]b<c[/tex], then [tex]a<c[/tex].

For any numbers [tex]a[/tex], [tex]b[/tex], and [tex]c[/tex], if [tex]a<b[/tex], then [tex]a+c<b+c[/tex].

For any numbers [tex]a[/tex], [tex]b[/tex], and [tex]c[/tex], if [tex]a<b[/tex] and [tex]0<c[/tex], then [tex]ac<bc[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not even sure where to start.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2011 #2
    Are you sure it's not
    [tex]
    |y-y_0| < \textrm{min} \bigg (\frac{\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1},1 \bigg )
    [/tex]?

4. May 8, 2011 #3
    I just double checked. I'm sure.

5. May 8, 2011 #4
    But if [tex]|y-y_0|<\textrm{min} \bigg ( \frac {\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1},1 \bigg )[/tex]
    then [tex]|y-y_0|< \frac {\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1}[/tex]
    Since if [tex]\textrm{min} \bigg ( \frac {\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1},1 \bigg )=\frac {\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1}[/tex] then [tex]|y-y_0|<\frac {\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1}\leq 1[/tex].
    And if [tex]\textrm{min} \bigg ( \frac {\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1},1 \bigg )=1[/tex] then [tex]|y-y_0|<1 \leq \frac {\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1}\[/tex]

either way [tex]|y-y_0|< \frac {\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1}[/tex]

6. May 8, 2011 #5
    No, I actually want the fact that [tex]|y-y_0|<1[/tex] in addition to all your above expressions. Now I am wondering, given your first inequality, is it possible to prove that

[tex]\frac{\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1} <1[/tex]. Do you think you can try to prove that?

If you can do that, then afterwards use the following:

1. [itex] min(a,b) \leq a,~min(a,b)\leq b[/itex]

2. [itex]|x-x_0| \geq |x|-|x_0| [/itex]

and proceed from there. But first try the first thing. Something I am not able to do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?